New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Switching From Pot To Medical Marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by melody, Mar 9, 2016.

1. melody

melody Active Contributor

As more and more places are legalizing medical marijuana, many people find themselves switching from the street drug to medical THC. What I have heard so far is that medical marijuana is a different kind of high than you get from smoking. How hard is it to switch from the street stuff to the medical stuff? Do you have to give up smoking (which is good) and switch to the oral route?
  2. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think digesting it is healthier. Medical marijuana may be way more potent then the kind you find on the street, because it's carefully grown. Something that's meant for medical purposes doesn't have to be rushed because it's legal. I think there's a big difference between medical marijuana and what you get on the street.
  3. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I do not think that it is hard to switch from street version marijuana to medical marijuana. I know someone who has done this and is very happy with it. They no longer smoke it but consume it in the form of muffins. They find the high to be better and it helps them with the pain they are in on a daily basis. Medical marijuana is a better grade than what you get from the street and is regulated for quality since it is being used as a medicine.
  4. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I have tried marijuana but never used it for a long time. Believe me it is addictive. Whether you try marijuana as a recreational drug or for medicinal purpose, it can become an addiction it you use for a long time. Marijuana has an adverse effect on your brain and body. Your mind will become very slow and your body will become lean.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Not sure about it but I think that medical marijuana should be harder to get cause it should requires prescription. Also agree that it could be more expensive than what others can get just in the streets.
  6. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

This really depends on a few things. Some countries have legalized medical marijuana to be smoked for pain relief and in this case, yes the user would still get a high from it (if they smoked enough) but it's more of a body buzz due to higher levels of CBD. Street marijuana has lower levels of CBD and more THC and gives more of a mental high but it's not that useful for pain relief. Alternatively, ingesting marijuana (whether medical marijuana or not) can also have medicinal benefits. Medical marijuana isn't as potent as street marijuana but it's still potent enough. Additionally, some strains on the streets are akin to medical marijuana and also have high CBD levels.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Medical Marijuana has a better consistency of quality because of the stringent compliance that growers have to follow. The are checked regularly and with illegal sales, you really don't know what you are getting. It's basically taking someones word that you are getting quality goods.
  8. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Medical marijuana has two forms. One is whereby it is smoked while the other form is taking it as a tablet. The smoked version may be more refined and filtered to remove hundreds of chemical principles found in street marijuana. In the tablet form, there is one medicine called Marinol which has a high conc. of THC which is the active principle used to control pain. These treatments are usually given under supervision to doctors dealing with fibro and cancer patients.
  9. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

I think you have THC and CBD mixed up. THC is usually not medical, CBD is much more safer for medical procedures as it is psychoactive and relieves anxiety which is found in the street version of THC. The two are very different but it shouldn't be too hard of a switch.
  10. Maninthebox

Maninthebox Member

I've smoked a lot of medical weed and always found it to be a better high; makes me laugh a lot more than most street weed ever did and it ALWAYS stopped a headache in its tracks. I'm about to begin using prescribed THC used via smoking & eating it. I am really looking forward to the myriad of benefits of it.

Peace to all of you,
    Maninthebox
  11. Dominica

Dominica Member

I think there have been some verified benefits to medical marijuana for some people... It is my hope that people who are using medical marijuana use it responsibly..... and of course, that it is safe. There are so many different stories concerning this topic... but in the end, my hope is that there is less suffering in the world....so if medical mar. does this, then I am alright with that.
  12. Maninthebox

Maninthebox Member

I totally agree with you. As with anything in life, medical marijuana can be misused which doesn't really help. Responsible use WILL help a ton of people.

Pace to all of you,
    Maninthebox