An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Switching to less harmful addiction

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Vinaya, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I have many relatives who tried another type of addiction while trying to quit smoking. My uncle was able to quit smoking by using nicotine gum, but now he is addicted to nicotine gym. My cousin tried ecigarette to quit smoking. He has not smoked since two years, but every now and then he takes ecigarette.
  2. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I don't mind e-cigs a lot, but ever since I read about all those horrible incidents in which one of those devices exploded on someone's face (at first I thought it had only happened to one person), but then I read there were several cases. Ever since that I stopped thinking about e-cigs being a good option for my fiance to stop smoking :(
  3. blenly

blenly Member

I really considered going on to e-cigarettes but I decided against it. They are very popular in the UK.

The main reasons I decided against it are:
    • I'd still be spending money on oil etc.
    • I'd still be addicted to nicotine
    • There are no conclusive studies to say that e-cigs don't harm your health
    • Bad press from fires and explosions
    Not only that many people who had converted to them at my work found they weren't much cheaper as they break easily, or stop working and then have to be replaced.
  4. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

It is really dangerous to try to replace one addiction with another because you are still struggling under the influence of something harmful. If one must quit one addiction, then it is better to totally quit without relying on something else that would take years to get off.