An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Synthetic Marijuana..

Discussion in 'Designer Drugs (Synthetic Marijuana, etc.)' started by frogsandlegos, Nov 1, 2014.

1. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

I believe my town has a law against it as well but we have the same problem. The manufacturers keep changing the names and also the composition of the product so it falls into a grey zone. I have literally no desire to try these products, they seem dangerous.
  2. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I've heard of this but have not seen it in my area. I'm sure it will eventually make it's way here too though, as people are always interested in getting high. Many people don't want to break the law, but still want to smoke weed. They are more likely to try this synthetic garbage to avoid breaking the law, but it sounds much worse than the real thing.
  3. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I have never heard of synthetic marijuana. I would like to know what exactly it is, and how it could get past anyone who knows what marijuana looks, tastes and smells like. I guess the dealers of this substance would be targeting young and inexperienced people, such as the unfortunate teen who died. All I can say is that it really awful to have such unscrupulous people out there distributing this toxic material.
  4. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

The cannabinoids in the actual cannabis plant are called phytocannabinoids. The synthetic cannabinoids aren't found
    naturally in any plants; they're powders that are created in labs and then sprayed onto a carrier plant (damiana, tobacco, etc.). People smoke them when they can't smoke cannabis because of drug tests.
  5. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Thank you very much for this very interesting piece of information. I have never heard of it before, but then I am quite out of touch with what is going on out there on the streets. So, when you say that people smoke it when they can't smoke cannabis, does that mean it doesn't show up in drug tests at all?
  6. Rob93FL

They can be tested for, but most companies aren't going to go through the trouble of purchasing a separate test just to detect synthetic cannabinoids. To my knowledge, synthetic cannabinoids will not cause a false positive for THC in normal drug tests.
  7. petesede

petesede Active Contributor

The problem with synthetic drugs is that it is easy to increase the potency. I have compared it to something like Sugar verses Nutrasweet ( aspartame). Sugar is sugar, the sweetness per tablespoon is very consistent. Aspartame on the other hand has been designed to be as concentrated in sweetness as possible, so a tablespoon of aspartame will ruin most foods, it is just too sweet.

The same is true of synthetic marijuana. People think of it as normal weed, but it is so concentrated that it can kill you if you smoke it the same way you smoke weed.
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I honestly don't have a problem with it being expensive as long as it is safe to ingest. That way I can be sure that the kids in my family aren't taking unnecessary risks caused by outdated and unjust laws.
  9. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

What I'm wondering about is whether some dealers actually buy the synthetic stuff cheap and sell it as the real thing on the streets. Would anyone really know? For example, there is a type of weed on the streets around here that they call K2. However, K2 is also another name for SPICE, the synthetic stuff.
  10. Rob93FL

K2 has been illegal for a little over two years and it looks nothing like actual cannabis. They would have to sell it to very new smokers for it to be believable.
  11. Sparkster

There must be real stuff on the streets called K2 aswell then (at least round here there is). I'm not sure if Spice is still legal in UK or not, police were saying in 2013 that there's no point making it illegal - www.theguardian.com/society/2013/jan/14/legal-highs-available-sale-government
  12. Rob93FL

There is a strain named K2, but I doubt that's what they're talking about. K2 has kind of become a catch-all term for synthetic cannabinoids, even though K2 was only one brand. It's kind of how a lot of people refer to smartphones as iPhones.

I didn't see anything about synthetic cannabinoids in that article.
  13. Sparkster

Really? Well, you couldn't have looked very hard because the very first sentence states "Legal highs such as Spice are appearing in the UK at the rate of more than one a week, police say." In the second paragraph it mentions "psychoactive synthetic drugs"

The term "K2" is not used universally as you described around here. It is used to refer to one specific (and very potent) strain of marijuana with a very distinct smell - it is easy to distinguish K2 from any other strain of marijuana simply by it's odour.
  14. Rob93FL

"Psychoactive synthetic drugs" covers every single type of synthetic drug from cannabinoids to amphetamines. The whole article is about methoxetamine and mephedrone, which aren't synthetic cannabinoids. The author of the article even had to make a correction at the bottom of the page:

15. Sparkster

No, it doesn't - the article is about all legal synthetic drugs in the UK, of which there are many (including Spice which is mentioned right at the top of the article - i.e. synthetic marijuana). Amphetamine is not legal in the UK. Neither is the whole article about methoxetamine and mephedrone, as you suggest, it is about all legal highs in the UK, whether synthetic cannabinoids or not. Both methoxetamine and mephedrone are now illegal in the UK, but Spice isn't. Legal highs in the UK have taken off in a big way and the substances mentioned here are just the tip of the iceberg. You seem to have a compulsion to skew and distort information - I noticed that on my other thread too.
  16. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

This is the first time I have ever heard of synthetic marijuana. I know growers sometimes spray their plants with something which increases the volume of the buds and I think that's bad enough. This won't do much to further the cause for legalization (even though it's the sensible option).
  17. Sparkster

A lot of people who grow marijuana use a hydroponic set up, along with steroids and suchlike in order to maximize the potency of the finished product. They are also constantly creating new more potent strains of marijuana. The marijuana of today is well over twice as strong as it was ten years ago due to some of the techniques being employed. This is why marijuana usage has been found to potentially be a cause of mental illness in young teenagers - it's constantly becoming more and more potent and is getting more and more like a manufactured drug, rather than something which grows naturally.
  18. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I was never a fan of synthetic marijuana. It just always seemed as though it did really bad things to a person. I've heard stories of teens having to go to the hospital because they were smoking synthetic weed. The thing about marijuana is that it's from the Earth and synthetic weed is manmade and who knows what that will do to you.
  19. Rob93FL

While I agree that phytocannabinoids are much safer than synthetic cannabinoids, saying that cannabis is safe because is it from the Earth is a poor argument, and it falls under the appeal to nature fallacy. Just because something is man-made doesn't mean that it is inherently harmful. I can just as easily name natural drugs that are more harmful than synthetic/semi-synthetic drugs.
  20. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I was more so comparing traditional marijuana to synthetic marijuana. There are some cases where this is in reverse, but I would say that in the case of marijuana specifically, synthetic is just more dangerous. Maybe saying that it was from the Earth was a bad reason to give.