An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

tabaco

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by jayzizzle, May 18, 2015.

1. jayzizzle

jayzizzle Member

bad very bad
  2. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I probably shouldn’t reply to this thread, but I read it as “Tabasco” at first and I’d actually agree, Tapatio is way better ;) On the subject of tobacco/cigarettes/etc. though, I have to say, many of the smokers I’ve known have acknowledged it’s a gross habit and that they wish they’d never started because it’s so hard to quit. Some have succeeded in quitting… but one switched to chewing tobacco, which in my opinion is not much better.
  3. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Hahaha, I read tabasco, too, and I must say I hate you for comparing it to Tapatio! I like Tabasco better, haha.
    Now, concerning the actual thread, people are aware of what they're doing to themselves, but still smoke since they don't really have the motivation of quitting what they started by their own will. I don't know people smoking out of pleasure.
    Cheers!
  4. CallipygianGamine

Haha, to each their own! ;)
    The only thing the smokers I’ve known would say they enjoyed was the nicotine hit, but they’d mostly agree the means of getting it was pretty awful. It was a bit like me and my bouts of binge drinking, I liked the temporary feeling but everything else surrounding it was terrible. I used to be the kid who bugged my parents to quit smoking, but when I grew up I began to understand. It was a bit like, “Oh… yeah, I kinda sorta get it now, I can’t judge.”
  5. Lackluster

Lackluster Active Contributor

I grew up around smokers, and interestingly enough (given my background in drinking) am the only person in my family who doesn't at this point in time, barring children.

Of course it's bad for you, but it's still relatively socially accepted. If people can quit, they should. I know first hand it's easier to get blood from a stone than to get a smoker to quit, though. The best thing you can do is make sure you're there for a smoker should they decide to quit for whatever reason, which they more or less have to find on their own.
  6. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Is it really that bad? Cigarettes are bad, sure. But if you look at cancer statistics for certain other types of tobacco like dip (extremely low cancer rates) or snus (doesn't cause cancer at all) it seems rather counter intuitive to lump all tobacco together.
  7. rightct

rightct Community Champion

It isn't intentional generalization, most people cigarettes=tobacco, so that's why you see the term being overly-used, and although I personally know it's not the same thing, most don't.
    I tried to smoke snus once, but didn't quite like it. In fact, I find it to be even worse than actual cigarettes, buch I guess each to their own, haha.
  8. CallipygianGamine

Yeah agreed, it’s more of a “first association” type of thing rather than an intentional generalization. I actually don’t have much of a problem with snus, especially if used as an aid to quitting cigarettes. I mean, I personally wouldn’t use it because I have no need nor desire, but it’s one of the better tobacco options. Dip/snuff/chew, that’s kind of a different matter. Personal distaste…
  9. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I think you're supposed to put snus in your upper lip haha, must've been a tough go. But ya, I hate to see things with such a low cancer rate as snus and even dip being grouped with cigarettes.
  10. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

I said it already, I'll say it again. Socially accepted and socially tolerated are different things. I guess it depends on where you live. Where I live it is merely tolerated and only to a point.
  11. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I am of the same opinion. However, it wouldn't hurt to add to what's already been said. I don't really blame people who smoke but irresponsible disposal of cigarettes and smoking in public are deplorable habits. If people are discreet about it and considerate of their surroundings at the same time (passive smoking has caused an increase in lung cancer rates), then they have my respect.
  12. CallipygianGamine

So true, I can’t stand when people leave their cigarette butts scattered all around. When I was out today I noticed there was a planter in which someone had left a sign asking people not to litter or leave their cigarette butts in the planter. Yeah, guess what else was in the planter. So rude. Considerate smokers are OK with me; rude ones, not so much.
  13. Lackluster

Lackluster Active Contributor

Indeed. I can't tell people what they can or can't do, but so long as they respect others and aren't troublesome I support their right to smoke. I was hoping the e-cigarettes would have made a bigger impact on the market than they have, but I'll take respect and restraint with the real thing.

But people who smoke in cars and flick the butts out the window are the worst.