An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Take It When You Need It, Not When You Don't.

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by hellonamesdana, Feb 2, 2015.

1. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

I have a friend I go to college with who has ADHD, and he has been prescribed adderall to help with all of the symptoms. But he doesn't take his meds. Instead, he either forgets to renew his prescription, or when he has it he'll give it to his friends for a study aid or sell it to other kids to use as that as well.
    I really wish that people would use adderall for it's purpose when they need it and to not abuse the drug or use it when it is not prescribed to them.
    PrideKidd and missbishi like this.
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

A lot of people do this with their meds. The thought of making a bit of extra cash on the side is too tempting for some people. However, do they realize that this is, in fact, drug dealing? I wonder if your friend knows that by doing this, he is putting the rest of his education and future career in severe jeopardy.
  3. 23arrow23

23arrow23 Member

Your friend is basically a drug dealer and he could face charges at any time. Adderall is a prescription drug for various reasons and selling it or handing it out like candy is never a good idea. The highly addictive properties have been well documented. He should stop doing this because he could end up in jail.
  4. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

That is not good for your friend for two reason: 1. He/She is doing something illegal and can get into some serious trouble for that. 2. If this person can't function very well without Adderall, then that is detrimental to their own personal life.
  5. HugsNotDrugs

HugsNotDrugs Active Contributor

I think it's your friend's personal choice not to take it sometimes and I think most people wouldn't have a problem with that, but it's the selling it to friends that's not good.

I will say though, it actually is best to take adderall every day if you have ADD or ADHD (and are prescribed it). Your body gets less bad side effects if its more used to the medication and with ADHD or ADD it is important to establish a mental/emotional/physical/etc routine so that you're not so "all over the place".
  6. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

The fact that he is selling it to other when it is not suitable for them or making a profit from it is wrong as he can be caught if they tell on him and all of them could be in trouble in the end. This should only be used by him, as it was prescribed to him, not to give it or sell it for money and he is misusing the drugs. The people receiving it could go sick and, have a addiction if they are using this to help with studying and depend on it for life.
  7. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I have some friends who have ADHD who refuse to take it as well. I don't think it's too harmful or addictive though so I don't think it is too dangerous. I agree that it should only be used when necessary though especially if you don't even have the proper diagnosis and prescription to take it.
  8. Akiyama

Akiyama Member

Hi,

I also think a lot of people abuse Adderall and claim it helps as a study aid. I haven't tried it myself so I couldn't make many statements about how effective it is, but I can say that a better study aid can be something as simple as listening to calm music (many people claim classical works, but I personally prefer a bit of jazz myself).

Your friend should be cautious about giving out those prescriptions because he could get in a lot of trouble down the line. If he really needs it, he should be taking it himself. If not, then perhaps he needs to consult with his doctor about it.

Akiyama
  9. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Have you ever asked your friend why he's doing this? Perhaps he doesn't want to be dependent on Adderall. Some people have enough will power to refuse such a drug no matter how effective it is in helping them cope up with an existing disorder. I think your friend is great in so far as he's able to refuse the drug, but since we don't know what his intention is and why he would just give Adderall to people who have no prescription, he appears somewhat irresponsible. You can voice out your concerns to someone who has a direct influence on him. This might snap him out of his questionable behavior.
  10. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

This is uncomfortably common in college and high school.
  11. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I also have a friend who has ADHD who does not mess around with Adderall whatsoever. He knows what it does to people and he likes his personality without it.
  12. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

He seems ignorant to the ill effects of his doings. Maybe you could give him a lecture, you know, scare him a bit. And if he cares even a tiny bit about his life, then he will listen to you and probably change for better.
  13. stariie

stariie Community Champion

In a perfect world people would do the right thing when it comes to things like prescription drugs, but things as they are now, people do all sorts of things that aren't beneficial to them.

It's too bad that your friend is having some issues. I certainly hope he isn't trying to buy friends by selling and passing out drugs.
    Hopefully he can right his ship and concentrate on dealing with his ADHD, and focus on getting his education.
  14. PrideKidd

PrideKidd Active Contributor

I live in college town so I know how much Adderall goes through this town. From study aids for a big exam or to get yourself through work. I see it, once you've been addicted to any type of speed you can instantly tell by their eyes and body language they are speeding their balls off. It is sad it gets so widely abused as I am sure that was not their original intention.