An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Taken Away

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by adfnio, Apr 22, 2015.

1. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

My time with alcohol has come to an end. But before I said goodbye it had taken a lot from me. It took away my dignity, my self respect, and most importantly I lost the trust of my family. But I'm ready to get that back.

What has alcohol taken from you? Can you get it back?
    Zyni likes this.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Alcohol doesn't affect only the person who uses it. Alcohol tore my family apart. It's my old man who was the alcoholic in our family but it [his addiction] left me scarred for life. That's how much it took from me, indirectly though it was. The likelihood of me ever getting back what I lost is zero.
  3. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

That's a really good point. I don't think people always realize quite how much our actions can affect others. We think we are only hurting ourselves, so it's our business. Couldn't be further from the truth.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Alcohol can take away your whole life if you let it. You only have to look at some of the stories on here to realize how dangerous alcohol can be, family life, work, self esteem, self respect, trust, money...all can be ripped away from you through alcoholism and for a legal substance, that's a pretty scary thought.
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Very true. That's why we always have to set limitations and boundaries before we get too dependent on it. There's a very thin line between recreational use and addiction.
  6. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Alcohol affects everyone when it is abused. My ex came from a long line of alcoholics and I see how much of a predicament it can put a family in, and actually tear the whole family apart. It is shocking to see how bad things can get in a short period of time. Good luck on your quitting.
  7. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

Alcohol has taken away a lot of my friends. Alcohol may be able to get you a ton of acquaintances but it can definitely turn good friends away.

Congratulations on being able to get away from alcohol's grip. I wish you luck and a healthy future.
  8. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Nothing alcohol took from me was something I was not able to get back when sober. I didn't lose anyone because of my drinking & it seems like that's the one that's most difficult to reverse. Everything that's rests solely in you is reversible. When someone else is involved it's an element you don't control. No matter how you change & how many times you apologize some people are uninterested in forgiveness.
  9. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

For me when I drank, I think it affected a lot of opportunities I could have had. My biggest drinking phase was when I was at university (which is the case for a lot of young people, I think), but I really went way, way overboard. Missing classes regularly because I was too hungover (or still drunk) and as a result I just didn't do as well as I could or should have. I still passed my degree -- but I really wonder what could have happened if I was fully committed to my studies.
  10. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I am glad that you have decided to stop drinking. I have witnessed alcohol strip away different individuals' peace of mind, sanity and love for life. It can take away so much more, like your family, your health, your job, and so much more.
  11. pwarbi

Exactly, I think the key word with any form of substance is moderation.

There's no reason why people can't enjoy a drink, just as long as it stops at just that, enjoying it rather than feeling you need it.
  12. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Alcohol has taken a lot of quality time in life. The time I spent drinking and partying I could of been doing something more constructive with my time. I could of been giving back to society but instead I drank.
  13. pwarbi

But do you regret the drinking and partying? Would giving back to society been as much fun?

I know I don't. And I think that's the problem, alcohol abuse is still widely accepted as being just a bit of fun. I'm not saying make it illegal obviously, but people need educating more about the effects it can have.

But would people listen?