An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

takes one to know one

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Joshstillclean, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Stupidity Exists - Fact.

So i posted an inspirational post yesterday,at least thats how I meant it.
    I also meant that to be my last post for a while about me. I was just gonna monitor and respond. Carry on conversation about other peoples issues with them. But i gotta ask this as it came out of nowhere and has me kinda concerned.
    I had to go to the parts store today and get some stuff. i had on short sleeves...
    the guy behind me in line also had on short sleeves and was obviously an IV user. But on the opposite end of the spectrum, probably meth. He had sores and all that. He told me I dhould have that seen about. He leaned in when he said it like he was really trying to be inconspicuous.
    he was refering to the darker and somewhat swollen veins on my right arm. yes i do have "track marks" if you wanna call them that. I never have because they are so mild compared other useres that i've seen. But i do favor my left hand 90 percent of the time. so on the left side of my right arm i do have very fat (even when not tied off) veins. They are also darker.
    Now outside I waited for this guy and asked him why and he told me I had gan green in my arm. OK, UMM NO. I don't. i thanked him without any further talk and just left.
    I get home and do a google image search of people who used H or other opiated and they all have swollen veins. but the pictures i get look like current users.

I can see a difference on my veins but they have never hurt. I have noticed a slight change in color i do admit that. I think I'm just getting more tan though. So any H or OXY or Dilauded users out there also have this? or was this guy right? I know you cant give me a medical diagnoses over the internet but does this look normal to you?

I should mention I haven't used a needle in going on two years. i did relapse and shoot some methadone. It's because of this that I can't say i've been clean since i got on MAT. Screenshot_20190622-144743.png
  2. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

@Joshstillclean i can't really see anything that's odd. i've seen plenty of people with big veins or darker veins...and they weren't drug users. but i'm not a dr... so don't have expertise here.
    deanokat likes this.
  3. Joshstillclean

ok glad you say that. I really did notice something about my veins in that arm looking darker just a few days before that guy said what he did. But then I had just attributed that to getting more sun lately.

I'm not feeling bad so I won't worry about it.
    deanokat likes this.
  4. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

@Joshstillclean this reminds me when i was in my 20's and i was inside and noticed the darkness of my veins..i was freaking out... i had not noticed before (because i was just unaware) i remember the next time i went to the dr i asked him about this and he looked at me like i was crazy... haha. like, hello, veins are supposed to be that way... granted, maybe there may be issues/conditions with very dark ones, i don't know. i just remember that incidence... my thoughts freaked me out and it was nothing. :)
    deanokat and Joshstillclean like this.
  5. Joshstillclean

ok thanks. I think it freaked me out being called out like that in public and it's been so long since i used anything. in fact it took me a minute to rageister what he was even talking about. So when i got to looking and comparing sides outside i REALLY noticed a difference.
    Honestly your post has made me feel better as I was freaking out. I know why those are swollen.
    I actually was thinking after I posted that that mabey one thing that bothered me is noone else was supposed to notice.
    If I'm really honest with myself I think that hit me on a level that I didn't realize at the time. The medical concern was/is real especially if anything progresses, but I got called out. That really bothered me.
    Dominica likes this.
  6. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Weird that that guy called you out in public, @Joshstillclean. And I agree with Dominica... I don't see anything peculiar about your veins. In fact, I kind of wish I had them, because my veins are almost impossible to see, and every time I need to have blood drawn or donate blood, the nurses poke around my arm with their needle like I'm some kind of voodoo doll or something. And it hurts!:eek:
  7. Joshstillclean

sorry you het used as a pin cushion. but if you don't see anything wierd looking either then I'm just gonna be okay with em.
    It is very weird that he siad that to me in public. IDK but if you would even trade em up for yours then i'm sure not gonna bother myself with it anymore.
    Probably bothered me on some some subconcious level that I'm not even aware about. Again i just don't know. But I really do appreciate you guys both taking a look. I was gonna end up asking someone and I really didn't want to ask my sister.
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  8. True concern

True concern Moderator

They are completely normal my friend, keep in mind blood is blue until it comes into contact with "Earths oxygen carbon" mix then it turns red so depending on the lighting it may at time's look like your blood is black like tar in your veins....no need to panic as long as your heart is still pumping this is a clear sign it is not tar rather blood.and yes I over explained yet again lol
  9. True concern

True concern Moderator

This is terrible to hear,I won't tell you how to find a artery every time because well you should never use arteries but needle junkies (I've done that) know how to make contact almost every time,well at least the one's who don't have abscess everywhere and for those that do.....im sorry you were never taught how to do it correctly
    deanokat likes this.
  10. Joshstillclean

It's sad but true. I've had blood taken many times where i could have done it so much quicker and cleaner.
    You saw my arm....last time they stuck me four different locations before hitting something. Seriuosly?
    Some medical proffesionals suck...
    True concern likes this.
  11. True concern

True concern Moderator

Ya bro I get it,I don't miss although the one thing I have achieved in truth is I haven't touched a needle in over 2 year's.... Hurray me:confused::confused:o_O:eek::eek::):):):):)
  12. Joshstillclean

That really is an achievement. I was hooked on the whole process, not just the drug. As sick as it is I would play with mine sometimes...with just water.

I remember hitting a year without a needle, I still got high, but i was super happy about that.
    True concern likes this.