New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Taking Drugs To Study More Hours

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by Rainman, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Some students start using drugs so they can stay up late, study more and [probably, eventually] pass exams. Taking drugs thusly can and does lead to addiction. How do you help a young person who believes that using drugs [now] will help them succeed later in life [by enabling them to get good grades in school first]?
  2. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

One should explain them that grades don't matter that much anymore, therefore they should study a subject only if they like it. If you're good at what to do and want to get employed (programming in my case) no one will even want to take a look at your high school grades, because most people know how useless some school subjects are and how subjective the grading system is. I had this teacher who kept telling us that grades really don't matter and to study and become the best at what we like to do in order to achieve something in life.
    Rainman likes this.
  3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Problem with young people is that they rarely take someone's advice but want to try themselves even if it's wrong just to confirm is right or wrong what you have already advised.

At this stage of my life, and having never made use of drugs to stay awake or study more, I found that all that rush to memorize my lessons to pass exams and the like was worthless because very few of that learning was kept in the long run. Rush study doesn't match with long-term retentive.

So making use of drugs has to be even worst; perhaps improve the ability to memorize a lesson by the minute but, what is going to be left in memory for the future? Nothing but the bad experience of an incipient drug addiction to achieve this goal.

Now put all this ramble into the for of advice for the youth, and your words won't be heard, sadly.
  4. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

This is very popular among med students... I knew a guy who did coke and also drank red bull in order to stay awake the whole night studying. Many med students do this sadly, because med school is not easy at all and sometimes it feels as the hours in the day are not enough to get everything you need to get done D: Some can control it, but others become addicted and end up dropping out med school...
  5. Paul

Paul Member

This is how I got addicted to meth. I would take prescription amphetamines such as adderall or dexadrine so I could get more work done. Couldnt get those one day, exam looming in the near future, tried meth and it worked even better.

Left me with better grades, but also lost a part of myself.
  6. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

I would tell them not to take on more than they can handle. I mean if you know your body can't manage the late night studying then find another method that works. But drugs is not the answer.
  7. 6up

6up Community Champion

After failing, you will realise that you were cheating yourself. You can never concentrate in your studies if are under influence from drugs. What you need is a deep sleep then a cold shower afterwards, or avoiding studying during hot weather.
  8. Momma9

Momma9 Community Champion

I tried that in college with Cocaine and it was a horrible idea! I thought I was doing sooooo good. I stayed up and studied and took finals without sleeping for days. Then I got my grades. I wasn't doing as well as I thought I was according to my bad final grades!! I ended up making bad grades, losing a lot of weight and becoming malnourished, and ended up really sick for months afterwards. It rates right up there as one of the stupidest things I have ever done!!
  9. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

Google articles about people dying from substance abuse and give it to them. ha! Life is serious and these days I am noticing that people just don't take it serious. People and our youth pop pilsl and use everything else just like they are taking a baby bayer aspirin or something. I have never in my life seen such a mess. Death just does not seem to scare them. The bible teaches us about days like this. My son had a friend at school to pop five of some kind of pills and died. This is common with them. They seem to get more education about drugs than we did yet they use them much more than we did. Its really awful!!!