An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Taking it as prescribed

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by medievalmama, Mar 4, 2015.

1. medievalmama

medievalmama Community Listener Community Listener

I have had Tramadol prescribed to me various times in my recovery. While it is non-narcotic, it feels like a narcotic. It is scary to take mind and mood altering drugs when you are in recovery.

The most important thing for me was to be accountable to someone. My husband is also in recovery. I would tell him when I was taking a pill so that it did not feel sneaky. I talked about it with my sponsor. What I can say is, when medication is taken as prescribed by a doctor it is still possible to stay clean and sober.
  2. sazzydan

sazzydan Active Contributor

Tramadol is an opiate. As long as it is taken when prescribed, following the instructions of your doctor it is an effective pain reliever. I take Tramadol everyday for an ongoing knee problem and I have never had any problems with it as such.

What I would say, is when you first start taking it, some of the side effects can include euphoria, which is where the narcotic feel can come from. There are a lot of reports that people have experienced this feeling at the start, but it does subside in time. In the first couple of weeks I experienced this a lot, to the point I did not feel safe to work, but now they just eliminate the pain.

It is easy to become addicted to the feeling that Tramadol gives, hence it been now classed as a controlled drug, but taken properly it is not a problem!
    medievalmama likes this.
  3. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Do you find that you have an addictive personality? If that's the case or you've had issues with narcotics before you should disclose that to your doctor. Sometimes people who even have an alcohol problem have come to the conclusion that they cannot partake in pain pills regardless of necessity. It's a slippery slope.
  4. medievalmama

medievalmama Community Listener Community Listener

Yes, I've been sober for 26 years. In that time, I've had several surgeries, a complicated broken foot, and a spider bite with necrotising venom that left a lemon-sized crater in my flesh, among other injuries and illnesses. It *is* possible for recovering addicts and alcoholics to safely take medication as prescribed by a doctor. Hence, that is why I took extra precautions when I was taking pain medication. It is keeping secrets that keeps me sick.

I've seen a lot of needless pain and suffering as a result of folks being told that they cannot take any mind or mood altering medications, period. When medication is taken for actual pain, it doesn't give a "high." But, ultimately, it is a personal choice.
  5. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Active Contributor

My mother was on tramadol for the last 6 years of her life, and I now am on it as a result of whip-lash (I take it in conjunction with naproxine. My son was on it for awhile due to an injury, but the last doctor switched him to a stronger opiate because the doctor who had prescribed the tramadol was unaware that he had seizures because he had been on tramadol in the past while on zoloft. I am also on blood pressure medication. I would switch to stronger naproxine rather than go to a stronger opiate. My son cannot take nsaids

I wonder what I should be aware of when on tramadol?
  6. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

I wanted to thank you for this information about how pain medication (tramadol) can be taken successfully by those with past addictions. What resonated most with me was your accountability and being upfront with your significant other (husband). Nothing productive ever occurs from keeping secrets. I think, this is when the personal mind games begin along with the cycle of guilt and fear.
  7. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Active Contributor

One of the things I have been told about tramadol is that, unlike more traditional opiates, tramadol patients do not develop tolerance and can stay on the same dose for many years. Mother never developed a tolerance in 6 years usage. She had been taking too much Anacin and regular aspirin, so she was switched to tramadol.
  8. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

Quite frankly, the harshness of regular aspirin, such a common over the counter drug has concerned me for years. When I was young, it was the only thing available for pain or discomfort without a prescription.

Well, back then, prescriptions were not wrote out like a dime a dozen, nor did we see all the ads promoting the benefits of all these new "miracle" drugs on the market.

Now back to the subject at hand, I am glad to hear that the choice of tramadol has not been addicting to your mother and helps with her pain levels!
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Tramadol is becoming more and more popular these days than most other prescription drugs. Whether this is down to the effectiveness of the drug or that doctors are now more willing to prescribe it than in the past, im not sure.
  10. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Tramadol can be a really useful drug if it is taken responsibly and it seems as though you are doing just that. I don't like to think about people enduring unnecessary physical pain because they are too frightened to use any pain relief.
  11. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

I am a recovering opiate addict/alcoholic. No one told me I couldn't take tramadol. But I know if I had some, regardless of the pain I'm in, I'm going to take the entire bottle in a day. I know what it feels like. I was on it a couple of times. The only person who told me I shouldn't take it was me. I'm glad you can safely take it. But there's a lot of people who choose pain over tramadol for good reason.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't tell recovering addicts that its okay to take something like that. Not everyone can handle it without falling back into old habits.
  12. I think being accountable when trying to take prescribed medication is a great step to stay in recovery. Like many people have said, taking any type of medication can be difficult when you are recovering, but I like your approach of telling your sponsor and husband about it. A little extra accountability can go a long way!