New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Taking the first step

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by Nikkishea21, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

Knowing when to get help is one thing but having the courage to actually go into rehab is another. Some individuals know that help is needed but pride and sometimes fear prevents them from going to these places and sharing their experiences with others. "I am a teacher and I am well known in the area, I would never be caught dead in one of those places" were the words of one individual I know.

We are all human beings and no one is immune to mistakes. Going is the first step to recovery, and loving yourself to the point where you know that you do not want to continue you life in a downward trajectory but would like to see a change. I say this everyday that life is too precious and short to allow others to ruin it. Do it for you and make the change, it is worth the long haul.
  2. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

I think that it's important that we don't detox cold turkey, so the existence of free and low-cost programs is a good help to many people who don't have money.
  3. 003

003 Community Champion

I think the first step would be finding what's going to make you busy, finding your own interest that's going to ignite your life like playing a musical instrument, writing poetry or playing sports. Find something in which you are going to spend time wisely with other people, whom you can be friends with. Soon, you'd forget your vice and you'd feel stronger to fight it.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Subsidised programs are essential. Not everyone has the money, or the insurance, to pay for treatment and everyone deserves a fair chance at beating their addiction. Going cold turkey with no external support is not a good idea at all if you want to succeed. Beisdes being potentially dangerous, it does not allow you to explore the reasons why you became addicted in the first place.
  5. Peninha

That's right, so much money poorly spent that they should in fact create subsidies for programs that really matter, programs that can save lives.
  6. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

That's a personal opinion I feel. I beat my addiction without any help and going cold turkey, cutting myself off from everyone. I remember how it felt like I was burning up inside, and wanted to tear myself apart, and then I came to terms with why this was happening (the addiction) and I saw fit to fight it and re-take my life back.

Most people give the same situation who get addicted have no willpower and will go back into it, I agree. But not everyone should be treated the same way when different treatments have worked for different people. Everyone you meet might advocate something different, but the fact of the matter is the old saying "Different Strokes for Different Folks"
  7. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

I'd say that intention is the first step to recovery. Without an intent it is difficult to motivate yourself to do anything. One needs to think "where am I, and where am I going?" only while being truthful with yourself will this be helpful.
  8. Peninha

Yep, we need to identify the problem and want to change it, but the decisive step is to pass into action, without that nothing will change.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I totally agree. You cannot help someone if that person doesn't want to accept his fatal condition or doesn't want to be saved at all. It all starts within oneself.
  10. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. The first step really is the most daunting as usually everyone is already much too used to their current situation, regardless if it is making them miserable. It's still much more predictable for them to just stay the way they are, instead of facing the unknown and leaving their comfort zone and possibly facing life with sober eyes. The best thing is to just make a decision and bite the bullet, because the longer you think about it, the scarier it gets, and the unfortunate part is that the scariness is just in their minds.
  11. Peninha

That is a fact, if we manage to bypass the thinking process and just go to action it's pretty much painless, we don't even have time to think about it.
  12. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

And people fear what they don't understand; this could mean change in lifestyle or change in habits. If they're on the fringe and you can tell it, help push them over. It'll save them in the long run and you'll feel better for doing it.

And if you're the one who needs a push, come here and I'll shove you back into the light myself.
  13. Peninha

The bottom line is, it's a life changing action and if we are addicts we do need that action to change our lives. Now, how to do it is the hard part.
  14. shellybean808

shellybean808 Member

I agree that being honest with yourself is the first step. Finding out who is in your recovery community would be next. I have a small group of people who are in my recovery community and they have no idea that they are who I lean on when I feel weak. I wish I was strong enough to tell them what's going on but nonetheless their still here for me. Even through all of my crazy low times they've been here for me and haven't judged my situation. I think being honest with yourself is great but knowing who will be there for you even without you having to tell them what's going on should be at the top of your list.
  15. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Great post, OP. I think a lot people as blinded by pride and their ego so badly that they can't truly see they need help and refuse to go to a place where they know they can get help. It's sad, but we live in an incredibly judgmental society :( But you got to think about yourself first, what others think or don't think about you can go to hell. you must think about your own well being, even if that means you could be seen in one of those places... I've stopped worrying so much about what the people will say :)
  16. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I agree. They need to realize they're going downhill fast and need to get help. They have to go. Then from there, at least they're on the right path.
  17. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Agree that there should be actions done in order to get rid of the addiction totally. It should not end on just wanting to change but still doing the old stuff. There will be various help available just like rehab, counseling and other support groups.
  18. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I think that realizing you have a problem and actually wanting to change is the first step on the journey to recovery. Also, quitting cold turkey works for some people. There really is no "one size fits all" approach to getting clean and sober. What works for one person won't necessarily work for someone else. And whatever does work is a perfectly acceptable method if the end result is achieved. Just my opinion.
  19. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliams Active Contributor

You need to just step up and do it. Don't let fear stand in the way of salvation. Don't let pride stand in the way of the chance to have a happy, fulfilling life. You should perhaps read up on some of the local facilities which should help put your fears at ease.
  20. You got to make the first step, and by that I mean realizing that what you are doing with your life is bad. Knowing that is the first step. Then, it is action. It is fighting your inner deamons and that can be very difficult and stressful.