New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Talk More, Judge Less

Discussion in 'Other Recovery Support Groups' started by darkrebelchild, Mar 5, 2016.

1. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

When faced with people who have been through the dark path of addiction, it is advisable to judge less and talk more about their paths to recovery. This helps them feel they are not alone, rather they have a shoulder to lean on and people to rely on.

Judging others for their past or present does not help save the soul, rather it drives them off the right path. Do we judge more and talk less?
  2. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

People are always too quick to judge and always have been as far as I am aware. It's very rare that people are capable of opening their minds and considering that other people may have been through extreme or profound experiences in their lives. It's true that your experiences mold and shape who you are. We are all unique individuals and we are all wonderful in our own individual ways. It's often the people who have been through such experiences themselves who are the most open minded and who understand things the most.
  3. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Most people are conditioned to be harsh on others' mistakes. When they commit the same, they rationalize or shift responsibility. Something seems bad when somebody else is doing it, not us. Everybody has got weaknesses and strengths in one aspect of their lives or another. To judge others is to assume that we are perfect or infallible. It is always wise to get to the bottom of the situation before we make judgements on others since they could be victims of circumstances.
  4. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

Its human nature to judge someone who has different beliefs or opinions that offend or perhaps anger you in some way. We often do it without knowing it and its completely understandable because we all have different opinions. You just need that sense of self-control and acknowledgement of when it is right to be harsh on someone and when its better to talk it out.

I don't think we talk less than we judge, but rather talk too much in a judgmental manner. There are cases where I can see the latter proving effective to some extent when it comes to drug addiction though. For example, if someone you know is being extremely arrogant and stubborn and no matter how much you talk to them, they just don't care or listen.

In this case, it might be better to walk away, but if you are worried for their health, it could prove effective telling them the truth and being honest about how their drug abuse is destroying their life and the lives of those around them.
  5. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Since past is a history we should never judge a person based on his past. There is a beautiful story in Hindu theology. Once there was a dacoit. He lived in a forest and looted everyone who passed through. One day something happened that changed him. Later he went to become a great savant and wrote Hindu Epic Ramayana.
  6. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I for one believe that we have no right to judge others just because they made mistakes in their past. All of us make bad decisions, although some have made choices that are much more severe than others. I also made some mistakes and actually, I still do. And I don't want other people judging me because of them. All of us have the capacity to change. Let's give not judge, but instead support and help one another.
  7. sclupto

sclupto Member

I try to listen more and judge less. I don't have all the answers and I'm not going to pretend to. I think the best help I can give someone is to let them help themselves.