An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Talking about a craving: Good or bad?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by geegee, Oct 27, 2014.

1. geegee

geegee Active Contributor

What do you guys think about talking about a craving? Like for example, you really want to smoke, but since you want to NOT smoke, you confide to a friend about your craving instead? Is that helpful? Or is that a bad idea because it might make you want to smoke even more?
    Charli and adriana like this.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Talking about wanting to smoke isn't bad. You are at least letting those who are concerned about you know how you feel and they in turn may encourage you to fight the craving. Such kind of motivation would help you get over it.

So if you tell a non-smoker who's helping you kick the habit, then it's good. But telling other smokers wouldn't be such a great idea because all they'd do is try to get you back 'into the game' by asking you to take just a whiff . . .
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

This is a very good question. I personally think it would still ultimately depend on the person. Some might find talking about it to be therapeutic enough to alleviate the actual craving while some might just find it to be magnifying. Generally, I think it probably helps for the most part. Keeping it bottled up will probably cause you more to explode and binge.
  4. clptwo00

clptwo00 Member

I find that talking about my cravings is helpful so long as I am talking to someone who is understanding to my addiction. Generally trying to ignore, suppress or deny my cravings just increases my stress level and likelihood to binge. Talking about your cravings places them more within the realm of reason and has often helped me to keep them at bay.

Someone once told me to remind myself that a craving "is only a thought" and those words have helped me a lot over the years. Obviously withdrawal symptoms are real and painful, but there are so many factors that can help you prevent a relapse. I think talking and normalizing your cravings will help you understand them. Also, by acknowledging your cravings, you're more likely to be attentive to what may be causing them.
  5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

It really depends on your friend. If he's the sort to get you in trouble or is wanting you to be sober and clean. I would like to think that a good friend would support you and not try to coerce you to go use again.
  6. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

If you confide in someone that wants you to be sober and healthy then that would be a good thing. They would tell you not to and go do something else instead. If you were talking to a negative person, then I would think they would actually try and get you to drink. Use your head. I think you would know who is a positive person in your life and who isn't.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Well, I won't say it is a good thing, but I don't think it is a bad thing either. Probably it depends on who you are talking to about it. If you think that person will give you a good solution, then yes, confide in him/her. If not, just try to think of positive reasons why you should stay clean and sober.
  8. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

One can talk all day long about whatever your addiction was, and yet not having any craving nor need to try it again.

One good example is the time we spend here. We talk about addictions, and many times we have to evoke times when we were hooked up in one of them, or we were in situations that could be considered an addiction, like someone who suddenly remembers to like the smell of a given thing.

Nothing of the above pushes us to run for some smoking, drinking or else, what may demonstrate that cravings are oftentimes the result of a mind-conditioned need that yourself elaborate and not a brain demand all the times.
  9. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Now that I am well and truly over my cocaine habit, I don't mind talking about it at all. It was different when I was quitting though, I couldn't bear to talk about it at all, I just wanted to forget about the fact that coke is a thing.
  10. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I find it a good thing to talk about cravings - as long as you're around people that are good influences and they won't encourage you to go and act on those cravings. Most of the time I feel like getting it out in the open doesn't make it seem so forbidden or taboo which then helps me lose interest in it, you know what I mean?

For me anyway, I find that if I suppress my feelings of wanting to drink, it almost makes them worse. Talking about it makes me feel like I have power over it.
  11. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

You have to be careful you’re not talking about it around enablers. I’ve made that mistake. But if you’re talking to someone who can steer you away and give you a little moral support, I think it can be beneficial to let it be known you’re having a craving. Bottling it up just tends to make things worse.
  12. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

My own thoughts on this is that it is a good thing.
    If you bottle it up inside that never does you any good, I feel it is always good to release your feelings.
    Talking to a good friend or family member can be very powerful.
    Don't forget the best person to talk to about it is God via prayer.
  13. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

In a way it is. You have to get your worries off your chest or they will surely consume you until you have no choice but to act on the very thing you want yourself to stop doing. The tension building up in your brain dissipates the moment you open up to someone. A reduction of tension leads to a drop in desire.