An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Tapering off

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by AngryItalian, Nov 1, 2017.

1. AngryItalian

AngryItalian Member

I may catch some heat, so let me give a back story for this.

I've used marijuana off and on occasionally for a few years now. I've also been an alcoholic for about 6 months. I drink and then smoke sometimes, and I notice that the feeling gets so intense I no longer desire to drink, nor do I feel the urge to drink.

For the first time ever I have smoked instead of drinking, which may not be a good idea because I have not tapered down far enough, but I think I can push 24 hours before I drink, it's already been 16 hours since my last drink, and there is nothing but a few pains in the upper side of the abdomen that come and go lasting for maybe 3 minutes max, so I don't think it is anything out of the ordinary when you break from a long term binge of 2-7 shots per day for about five months with some daily breaks in between.

This will be the first time I've gone this long without drinking in two months, by the time I post this post I will have hit my first milestone of abstinence.

Due to the constant drinking nature and my ability to suck it up and control what I do when it matters most I decided it would be safer to gradually cut back to abstinence for a while and occasionally drink on certain weekends. I don't do this to rationalize my drinking, because by it's current definition, my drinking is certainly above the danger zone. My goal here is to be able to make the label on most alcohol true, and drink responsibly.

I invested in a key chain Breathalyzer so I can more easily measure where im at before and after drinking.

I don't drink because my life sucks, or I'm running from anything, but I just turned 21 6 months ago and in America to clarify thats the age nearly every new adult loses their mind with alcohol a bit, but I just got a tiny bit carried away. I just drink because I like the way it makes me feel and I should probably make that more of something I associate with good times and occasions rather than everyday in every scenario as its intended to be used.

Alcohol doesn't feel amazing if you do it everyday, using it responsibly as I plan, will make it the amazing way it is when you first try it and enjoy its effects.

I truly believe this method will work. I kind of see the recovery and rehab facilities as modern inventions and I personally believe this is a fight thats best fought with support within.

I just feel like I will try harder and be more successful if I post about this here.
    True concern likes this.
  2. Headyheap

Headyheap Member

It sounds like you need to do some more research into alcoholism. Many of the observations you are making have explanations in the research. Withdrawal symptoms are different for people according to the amount and the length of time a person has consumed alcohol. The main thing I wanted to say is that the disease progresses over time. It physically changes your brain and hormones. Breaking the dependency can be fatal if not medically supervised for a person who has used alcohol for years. Chronic use for several months could be uncomfortable to cut out but if your chronic use were say a decade along it would likely be even worse. Getting it under control as early as possible will be better for you.
    Also, when my grandfather stopped drinking he replaced it with marijuana. I'm not sure he ever dealt with the underlying emotional issues of addiction but he probably prolonged his life and had better health because of it.
    I suggest AA or some type of recovery meeting to help answer some of you questions and expose you to new concepts. The beauty is that people have figured much of this out before us and there is a wealth of information to draw on. Good luck.
  3. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Headyheap thanks for sharing. great insight there... some say alcohol detox is more dangerous than many other drugs.... can be deadly and should be done under the care of medical professionals - especially if person is a heavy drinker....

glad your grandfather was able to quit drinking.
  4. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Community Champion

You won't catch any "heat" from me.
    Oh yeah. Hello and welcome to the community by the way. Im Josh, a recovering heroin addict and alcoholic. And addicted to several other things over the years but its getting old listing everything so I'm just going to start introducing myself as recovering from heroin, alcohol, and coke.title over a year sober. Used for 15.
    Anyway all that to say rehab is not a modern idea. It goes back to Roman times actually, they just didn't have a clue what they were doing.
    And my friend if you think your gonna beat this by keeping it in you are sadly mistaken. I am 31 with a 9 year old, single parent. Trust me I didn't start out banging dope in McDonalds bathrooms only to be woken up by ems personnel.
    And I also want to say that I knew I was an alcoholic the first time I took a drink. I just knew.
    But I could have stopped. And trust me you are gonna be ok and honestly better off if you dont fool yourself into thinking that 3 or 7 shots a day with a couple days break for 6 months has put you in a state of dependency where you must "taper yourself because you have developed such a dependency".
    Honestly, just quit. If your a pothead too (I smoked for 16 years and have a card so I'm not judging) the only reason you have to keep drinking now is to keep,drinking. Your not gonna be hurting so bad you can't stand it.
    And here's the truth if that little bit of alcohol,does have you in an extremely uncomfortable state just imagine how bad you'll,feel when you have to go to the hospital if you don't get a fix every three hours. Cause that's where your headed with this kind of attitude man. You have no reason to taper. Siezures are the main concern when stopping alcohol but you have pot. So problem,solved.
    Sometimes I wish ten years ago some of my older friends who looked at me and laughed and told me I was gonna regret this later in life actually took the time to tell me why.
    They had been there and done that.
    Brother I have too. I got the tee-shirt.
    Please don't drink. And ahhh,ehhhh,ummmm, I quit and only use it for emergencies like seizures but I'm not gonna get into the pot thing.
    But it will inhibit maturation. That's true. So smoke at your own risk. Also if it doesn't come from a despensery then it might have some awful stuff in it. Look up krocodil on Google images.
    Good luck friend.
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  5. True concern

True concern Community Champion

I will just start this by saying im very stubburn and ignorant at times.I drank 750ml of Jack Daniels a day and followed it with a 12 pack of beer,i did this for approximately 5-6 years daily then my wife said enough or else so i quit cold turkry and i remember for about 2 weeks every night waking up on the floor with my wife yelling over top of me because she said i was having body earthquakes.....seizures.Anyway i lucked out and survived major emphasis on luckily as in all reality i should have died from going cold turkey from such an amount over such an extended time so please remember as addicts we will rationalize our addictions to death,coming up with every way possible to consume in moderation this is infact the disease called addiction decieving us so please be very careful and take this serious and to be clear im not trying to give you a hard time im simply getting to the point.Stay Strong My Friend And God Bless
    Joshstillclean and deanokat like this.