An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Teaching about drugs in school

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Carnold23, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

Do you think teaching children about drugs in school helps with prevention? Do programs like DARE help educate kids, and do you think what is taught in these programs stick?
    I remember when I was in school everyone thought the DARE program was a big joke. Despite that many of the things that I learned have stuck with me through the years.
  2. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

I think that knowledge is power. Of course, there are always going to be at least a few students who think such programs or lessons in health class are a joke, however, perhaps it will help a few kids stay on the straight and narrow path. Even if it prevents only one kid from partaking in drugs and alcohol, perhaps it is a success.
    stariie likes this.
  3. Mara

Mara Community Champion

It helps a lot if early on, children know the effects of drugs and the ramifications of drug addiction. I've heard a lot of stories that kids tried it because they were curious. If they knew before hand the effects of those substances on them, I think there's a bigger chance that they would stay away from it.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Drug education as it is in schools now isn't effective. Maybe the educators go about it all wrong. Even if kids get drug abuse education in school and they still get this pro-drug messages everywhere else they look, who will they trust? Their teachers and parents or the cooler idols they adore? For drug education to work, more must be done to stop the glamorization of drugs on social media, in movies, songs, etc.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

We also had that DARE here and as far as I can remember, we did not thought about it as a joke. In our class, we take it lightly as the instructor have manuals and there were times that there were role playing on what could be the bad effects of illegal drugs.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I strongly believe in education, and yes, those kinds of programs would really help a lot in drug prevention. However, this must be facilitated properly to make it work. Some people think that this is sort of a big joke, but this is actually a step towards fighting and beating substance abuse.
  7. L_B

L_B Community Champion

My children both went through the D.A.R.E. program. I remember them coming home and telling me everything that they learned. I think it had an impact on them. They took it seriously and at least they were aware of the effects of drugs and alcohol. I think the programs are good. Any education that a child can get on drugs and alcohol is good I believe. They may not take it serious at the time but it stays with them. They remember what they learned. I am all for programs like D.A.R.E. in the schools. I think they should start it at a younger age though. Kids now a days grow up too fast.
  8. Psyduck

Psyduck Active Contributor

It is most definitely essential. I wish I was aware of the consequences long before when I was young. Just like sex education, this is also very vital and I believe it would lead to a well informed society & would also prevent the usage of drugs.
  9. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Let's be serious, most pupils pay little to no attention to their classes and won't learn anything from it. It would only be good for the ones who are actually interested in the science of drugs, like me, but the others would still treat it like a normal class. But it is interesting.
  10. serenity

serenity Community Champion

It's worth a shot to educate students about the dangers of drugs, but ultimately it all depends on the student if he will avoid or try drugs, the same way that we have a choice to obey our parents the moment we leave the house.
  11. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I absolutely think drug education is important - but I think it can be difficult. I say that because it's a fine line between educating and seeming like you're lecturing a child/teen on what to do, and in those rebellious years where we're all trying to test the boundaries it might push them the opposite way. I wish there was an easy solution and a one size fits all approach to drug education, but it's not that simple.
  12. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I think that drug education is very much important. Growing up, we did not have these drug education lectures in our school. And a lot of classmates were very much using nicotine, alcohol and other substances. And maybe drug education could have or could have not prevented it. But the main point is that, it can educate us about drugs and its dangers. And knowing these dangers is one way of avoiding drug use or even controlling it.
  13. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I think it helps to some extent. A lot of the things I heard about in school sounded disgusting to me and I knew I didn't want to try it. But I also already had that mentality that I couldn't try hard drugs. But I still don't think it has that great of an effect as it should. Kids still get curious and want to try because they're rebels.
  14. Waterel

Waterel Active Contributor

Talking about drugs in schools is important, but children need to hear the entire story, the correct story, not only the classic "don't do drugs kids, you will die". The background on how each and every drug appeared and started being used, the real negatives but also the effects of every drug. Knowledge is power.
  15. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I do think that drug awareness should be taught more in schools, as a lot of the time children will only learn about them from what they see on TV and from friends.

While it may not stop them from experimenting, at least they will have facts and see what the consequences of taking drugs is, rather than just seeing the glamorous side of it.
  16. BrandonA

BrandonA Active Contributor

I'd suggest posting the following excerpt taken from the "Humans of New York" FB page. Very down-to-earth and breaks up some teen myths about what happens when "the grownups just let us use pot and stop trying to ruin everything."

"“I hate pot. I hate it even more than hard drugs. I’ve taught high school for 25 years and I hate what marijuana does to my students. It goes beyond missing homework assignments. My students become less curious when they start smoking pot. I’ve seen it time and time again. People say pot makes you more creative, but from what I’ve seen, it narrows my students' minds until they only reference the world in relation to the drug. They’ll say things like: “I went to the beach and got so high,” or “I went to a concert and got so high.” They start choosing their friends based on the drug. I hate when people say that it’s just experimenting. Because from what I’ve seen, it’s when my students stop experimenting.”"
  17. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Some kids will take it seriously and some kids will not. I have never been in a dare program for my school so I don't know what it's like. Though I do remember in elementary school we had a real police woman come into class and talk about gangs and how to avoid them. It was called GREAT or gang resistance education and training. Maybe we need different approaches to reach different types of kids.
  18. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I agree with what others have said here, and that is that it depends on the individual student. Teaching about drugs in school is kind of like teaching about anything else in school, really. Same as math, English, science. Some kids will make straight A's because they apply themselves, and their education is important to them. Others will get B's and C's, and there are others who will barely pass their classes, or flunk out altogether.

Kids aren't adults yet, so it is expected that they don' take things as seriously as maybe they should, but it's a process. They have to learn about life.