An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Teen Angst

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Nick W., Oct 18, 2014.

1. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I figured I would share my story as well:

My name is Nick, and I started using when I was 12 years old, heavy amounts Ecstasy and LSD. I was removed from an abusive household at 12, and sent to live with an aunt in Virginia,USA. During that time I did not know how to deal with my emotions, the previous abuse, and to be honest, the feeling of being unloved because the abuse no longer was happening. I spent three years in inpatient treatment before I managed to get myself clean and emotionally stable.

I'm now 35 years old, have worked since I was 18 with abused & neglected teens, teens in crisis, and just about any combination of troubled youth. With my experience on both ends of the spectrum I have a unique viewpoint when it comes to dealing with things, and I use this as a launching point for my blog, which offers advice, information, and support, to parents and teens in crisis. I also wrote a self help book, don't worry I won't post a link! Child Abuse: The Ripple Effect, was a way for me to put a voice to everything that was going on in my head.

I genuinely want to serve others, and lend a helping hand to anyone that might need some support. I look forward to interacting with you all.
    camsdad, Gelsemium and Joseph like this.
  2. Joseph

Joseph DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

It's great to have you here, Nick. Thanks for sharing your amazing and inspiring story!
    Nick W. likes this.
  3. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Thanks Nick! :)
    Nick W. likes this.
  4. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

It's great and inspiring to hear that despite what you have been through, you were able to come out of the addiction and eventually help those in need. I hope there could be more people like you in this world.
    Joseph likes this.
  5. Nick W.

MaryannBalleras,
    If I have any say in the matter, there will be more people like that come out of this with their heads held high, with the knowledge to move forward, and the security in knowing that they are not alone. While I did much of my own trial & error on my own, in a time when the internet did not really exist as we know it, the world has changed and I plan on using this new platform to reach out to as many as possible and offer support. Thank you for the kind words.
    Joseph likes this.
  6. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

Thanks for sharing your story Nick. I hope you never feel unloved again. We're all family and you have so many people who love you. Your abuser was not showing you love. I hope you have worked through those emotions and I am glad to hear that you are putting nothing but positive energy into this world. Bravo!
  7. Nick W.

Lucy,
    Thank you for the kind words. I do realize that I am loved, and have changed the entire way I think. However, it's common for abused children, once removed from the abuse, to find themselves "alone" and feeling like they are not loved, because previously, the only people they thought "loved" them treated them a certain way, and when you're not being treated that way anymore, it can be very confusing and emotional. Thanks again for your kind words.
  8. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Hi Nick, It is very sad to hear about child abuse and that is something that wil always be in the small corner of your heart. The feeling of being unloved by the people who should love you the most is naturally going to alter your life events. How you have been able to channel those feelings and emotions through helping others is fantastic!
    I hope that you will be with someone that will love you completely and unconditionally at some stage of your life because everyone deserves it.
  9. Nick W.

I'm now married and have a 12 year old daughter. While that part "lives on" in me, it's no longer part of my everyday life, except in how I deal with my own child, how I use my knowledge to help others, and things of that nature. Early on in my teens it was difficult to understand the nature of "healthy" relationships, but as I grew, things became clear and I managed to find "family" that was loving and caring in my in-laws. My book, Child Abuse: The Ripple Effect, goes into detail about how we go on living after the abuse ends, and what that means for survivors of abuse. It's been very therapeutic for me, and helped a lot.
    Joseph likes this.
  10. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Thats wonderful and so happy to hear that there is a way forward. It gives hope to others like you and the gift that you are giving them by helping them see the future is fantastic.
    Nick W. likes this.
  11. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

You're a great addition to this community Nick, I am glad to know that you have a "normal" life with your past and that you want to help others as well!
    Nick W. likes this.
  12. MrMegistus

MrMegistus Member

This is truly inspiring. I look at it like this: you could have easily done a "woe is me" action and stayed in the slump of your emotional and physical addiction. Or, you could have gotten yourself together and said, "who gives a damn about others?" But you are focusing on our youth, and they are the ones who really need the help. Not saying adults don't, but these teens are our future generations, and if we (adults) can't show them that we care, what will happen to them? And how will they know how to show/extend that care to their children? Great work, Nick!
  13. Gelsemium

I never tried LSD, but I had friends who did and the outcome for them was the worse, don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but in fact they are not among us anymore.
  14. camsdad

camsdad Member

I'm very sorry to hear that. I too have never tried it because it scares the crap out of me. My mind is all over the place as is, I can't imagine the things I would see while hallucinating.
  15. camsdad

camsdad Member

Nick thank you for sharing your story, and thank you for devoting your time and energy to helping others in need. You've been a big help.
  16. Gelsemium

That is the thing, when I look back and I feel in my body still today the consequences of lighter drugs, I don't even imagine what I would be like if I have tried the harder ones, but when we are teens we don't consider that.
  17. camsdad

camsdad Member

When I was a teen I was all talk. I'd be completely against doing something and then as soon as it was around, I'd try it, and like you said had no fear of the consequence passed that point.
  18. stariie

stariie Community Champion

Nick, thanks for sharing your personal story.

It's horrible to go through abuse at any time, but I think it's especially bad
    to go through it during childhood.
    I know that even now as a full grown adult I still don't know
    how to process some of my feelings.

Glad that you have turned negatives into positives by being of service to others.
  19. Gelsemium

Yep, that is why the guidance from parents is huge, if kids have no guidance they just guide themselves or allow to be guided by those around them and the consequences can be the use and abuse of drugs.
    camsdad likes this.