An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Teenage friend with prescription opiod addiction

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Friend' started by John Doe, May 18, 2018.

1. John Doe

John Doe Member

I am a teenager. I have a friend. My friend has been on prescription opioids for over a year and a half. She does not like them. Her mother and doctor know this. She is not allowed to stop taking them. She began taking them last year for nerve pain. She is not allowed to stop taking them because the doctor thinks that they play a key roll in her treatment for depression, anxiety, and insomnia. She does not know what she is taking, but I am going to assume that it is tramadol based on her symptoms. She takes capsule, so she can not cut the pills to ween herself off. She takes two a day. I know that it is not my place to interfere, but nobody else is doing anything and I can’t watch it go on any longer. She will try to stop either way. Her doctor does not seem like a good one to me. She described to me a time when she was in the hospital due to her nerve pain (which has cleared up for now) , and her doctor administered ketamine. The doctor did not tell her she would hallucinate. He did not even tell her what she was on until after. She was literally on horse tranquilizers and nobody told her why she was hallucinating! I had to be the one to tell her the ketamine was making her hallucinate because she just thought she was going insane!

So, with that out of the way, here is my current plan: if nobody lets her stop taking the drugs in the next two weeks, I am going to buy kratom and give her a small dose and tell her only to take one of her pills. Then over the next week, I will have her ween off of the kratom. So, once she is only taking one pill a day, I will give her a large-ish dose of kratom and tell her to stop taking her pills all together. Over the following two weeks I will give her less and less kratom every day until she is taking absolutely no opioid agonists whatsoever.at which point if she feels ok she can show the doctor all the pills she did not take and show that she feels fine.

Is this plan safe? Is it ethical? Is it just not my place to meddle? Is there a better way to do it?
    Thank you for any support you can give.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@John Doe... Welcome to the forums. While I understand the concern you have for your friend, I think you should steer clear of trying to help her by giving her kratom. You are not a medical doctor and doing what you suggest could cause your friend to have serious side effects. Not only do I think your plan is unsafe, I don't think it's ethical either. Please don't proceed with your plan.
  3. True concern

True concern Community Champion

@John Doe a few thing's here slap me right in the face.First i understand your concern and it's absolutely justified as our youth are being introduced to such evil through "The person with the prescription pad"Second you say your a teenager and for that reason i cannot figure out how you could possibly know how to tell your friend is on tramadol or any other pain pill honestly unless you have personal experience with multiple substance's.You said your friend suffers from nerve pain and they are a totally different type of pain pill than tramadol,they make pill's specific for nerve damage like neurontin which target's the damaged nerves.Then this on just boggles my mind "Ketamine"I don't know what to think of this,it sounds off in so many ways.I think you should learn with your friend via the internet about what her condition is,i think your friend should ask her mom what the name of her medication is and learn about that as well.I do agree with @deanokat to not go through with your plan.Educate yourself and her and approach the parent's as mature educated informed individuals,i think you will get much further this way.Stay Strong and God Bless Take Care
    deanokat likes this.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Words of wisdom, @True concern.
  5. Me at bluff

Me at bluff Member

I don't mean to sound harsh but there is something very off about this post. I am not going to point out all the red flags that alarm me but you need to distance yourself from "your friend" and all that implies.