An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Teenage Heroin Epidemic Documentary

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by singingintherain, Sep 9, 2015.

1. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

Has anyone else seen this documentary (YouTube link here)? It's a very harrowing watch but I think it is really well done.

It's quite frightening to see the lives that these teenagers live, and how the cycle will likely repeat itself with their children. I'm not sure of the best course of action to stop this from continuing. It seems like education is really important but the support needs to be there to ensure they participate and stick with the classes.
  2. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Community Champion

Its a terrible thing to see young lives wasted like that. No-one who starts taking the hardcore drugs like crack and smack think they're going to get addicted, its just a spiral of despair for them. That part of Wales has plenty of poverty, and that always seems to attract the dealers, who supply the addicts. What a vicious circle it is and I worry about that young mans future because he doesn't seem totally lost to the drugs in the documentary. Maybe they should be showing films like this in schools so kids can see the less glamorous side of drugs, but I don't think anything can beat good, responsible parenting to stop kids getting on drugs.
    singingintherain likes this.
  3. singingintherain

That's a really good point. It would be quite an educational documentary to show teenagers in school. It's definitely more the reality side of things than what is shown in the movies. The combination of real people in a documentary, as well as thorough education and support from parents helps as much as possible.
    Steve Dawson likes this.
  4. Hyperion

Hyperion Active Contributor

Oh man, this is going to be a tough watch for me. I've never touched the stuff myself, but I just moved from a place where many people my age were trying to kick the stuff. Many were not even from poor families. It upset me to see how the drug had normalized itself in the culture to the point where I had to have a stern talk with a friend of mine that it was not okay or safe for his sister to be dating a heroin dealer.
    Thank you for the link, I will be sure to watch this at some point when I feel brave enough.
  5. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Community Champion

I think if kids are shown the really gritty side of life as a drug addict from a fairly young age, it will counteract the pressures later on, they need to be shown the misery of addiction, so it counteracts the peer-pressure they will receive when they are a bit older. The problem of hard-drugs, like heroin, being glamourized in film and on TV is very real, when 'Trainspotting', a film that was wildly criticised for making drug-taking seem glamorous, was released in 1996, heroin use actually went up in the UK, a few years later the mother of a girl who had overdosed in her kitchen agreed to let the papers publish a picture of her daughter lying dead on the floor, where she had lain for several days, on this occasion, heroin use actually went down slightly, negative publicity is what heroin needs, everyone who takes it gets addicted, thats what kids need to know.
  6. singingintherain

@Hyperion I can totally understand it being a difficult watch for you! These kind of things can hit a little bit too close to home. It really is a harrowing watch at times.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I tried to watch it, it looked like a truly interesting documentary (I love documentaries), but I suffer from OCD and needles give me the creeps. I couldn't be done watching it because of those scenes with those poor teenagers picking up dirty needles from the street, that could get into my head and trigger obsessive thoughts of ''what ifs'' in my head :( But from what I saw... those teens have very sad lives! I feel so sorry for them!