An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Teens and RX Substance Abuse

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Nick W., Oct 22, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

I agree that punishment is simply not the best way, that will just aggravate the differences between parents and kids and in fact we want to reduce that difference, not make it bigger.
    Nick W. likes this.
  2. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

However, I think their is a difference between punishment and consequences.
  3. kima

kima Member

At the high school I went to, the nurse was not allowed to administer any medication, unless a parent got involved and personally requested it with proof. One of the biggest reasons why teens at my schools used drugs was because their friends did it. Groups of teens did it together, as opposed to one person taking drugs on his/her own. Peer pressure is one of the most powerful influences to a teen. They want to be accepted, so they just go along with it. When confronting them about their drug use, they do not realize just how much the drugs have changed them. It's so hard to help them, and I think that parents lecturing or punishing their teens would make matters worse.
  4. Gelsemium

True, we need to have consequences for their actions, but this needs to be something both parents and kids agree with, not a decision that the kid or teen can't understand.
  5. Strykstar

Strykstar Active Contributor

I think it's a hard balancing act, parents can't tell kids that everything is ok, but they say that everything is forbidden wither, because that will just entice the curiosity of the children, they also need to know the different degrees of danger, marijuana might be dangerous, but it's no heroin for example.
  6. Gelsemium

I've heard that sometimes it's even better to try some drugs with our kids, better with us than with someone else, but I can't agree with this, why would we try something that is bad for us?
  7. Strykstar

Strykstar Active Contributor

Where did you hear that?
    I'd never do something like that, it would even pass them the message that it's no big deal, since you do it too...
    They need to understand that it's something to NEVER try, doing it with them would be counter productive.
    Nick W. likes this.
  8. Gelsemium

I really can't recall, eventually in a movie, but the fact is that even if they don't try it parents need to discuss drugs with their kids or else someone else will.
  9. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I can't even begin to speak on the neglect & abuse of this statement. No way...
  10. Gelsemium

Yeah, sometimes being too liberal can definitely cause us trouble, but believe me, I've heard that somewhere and it only shows certain mentalities that still exists.
    Nick W. likes this.
  11. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

Alright, so as expexted marijuana tops the list and is the most popular mangst teens by far. What is synthetic marijuana though? Sounds quite dangerous...
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Wow that's just crazy. Look at the Vicodin and synthetic marijuana. This is not good. Its like subculture push. Social media has probably escalated this with teens too. It can be publicized more.