An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Teens, Media, & Substance Abuse

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by Nick W., Oct 24, 2014.

1. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Active Contributor

I agree that trying to scare your teen straight doesn't seem to work. Most of the time the problem is inside of the individual who is on drugs. Emotional problems, feeling lonely, not having both parents around, and just having someone positive to talk to may help, children are surrounded by negative energy.
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is right that media can be both a bad thing and a good tool for teens and to everyone using it.
    The media can be very influential and kids or teenagers should be supervised well by their guardians or parents to be able to avoid getting the negativity of it like bad substance use and violence.
  3. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

The media is a powerful tool that has its pros and cons.We're bombarded on a daily basis with adverts that glorify the use of drugs and most teens being naive accept what they are being shown wholeheartedly and the result is a whole generation of teens turning into zombies gradually am sorry to say. I think the solution is to regulate the content of some of this adverts and impose hefty fines on whoever breaches the set down guidelines.I know this is easier said than done but i believe it would be a step in the right direction.
    Nick W. likes this.
  4. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

One key component is that parents know what their kids are into. I'm not a fan of censoring content, but I do like to know what is going into their heads, and having conversations about those topics. It's all about communication and how the subjects are approached. IMO
  5. TXgirlNCworld

TXgirlNCworld Member

Do not even get me started with the MEDIA! For this case though, the media can be a positive tool or a very negative tool! I think it is more negative than positive though. The media shows these super, super young looking (legal models) in these commercials and movies that shows these people using and abusing substances. If you watch an alchohol commercial, the people partying and drinking look barely 18 let alone 21. I think it sends a horrible message to teenagers; messages like "look at us, we are cool and drinking" "we are as young as you look, but we are drinking" "drinking is so much fun." It is sad what messages are being sent out and not just in the alchohol field, but all types of substances. I think what the media does is blocks the true life outcome of substance abuse, the path it leads to, and what your life will turn out. I think the media filters the viewers from seeing the consequences of abuse because they do not want to lose viewers. There are very few commercials trying to stop substance abuse or showing the outcomes of that life, and I think that should change.
  6. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I don't disagree with you, but any tool can be used positively or negatively. It's just a matter of how we manage it, and how we educate our teens on the media and what's "real" and what is not.

I think it's important for parents to talk with their kids regarding reality vs what is portrayed on TV, Music, and Film. We can't just assume they know the difference anymore, because sadly, they don't.