An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Temporary Escape

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by gracer, May 11, 2015.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

We all go through moments in our lives when we become so low and lonely that we don't know where to turn to. Sometimes the easiest and most available way of escape is by way of drug or substance use. Yes, the ease and comfort they give can be overwhelming but it's not permanent. It only lasts for awhile and before you know it you keep on wanting more, then you finally become addicted.

That is a mistake some of us have eventually gone through. We fail to realize that we don't really need an escape. Instead, we need to keep on moving forward no matter how hard or painful it is because all that will end soon. Trials and struggles are never permanent, it's just a matter of how we deal with them.
    Rainman and CallipygianGamine like this.
  2. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I’ve sort of hit this point myself recently, and while I’m not tempted to turn to drugs, I’m very prone to wallowing in my despair. I keep needing to remind myself that yes, turning my life around and trying to do something to better myself WILL be uncomfortable a lot of the time, especially as I’ve put it off for this long already and made things harder for myself. So I just choose to focus on the things that are close at hand that I can do, do those things even when I'm miserable, and believe things will change.
    gracer likes this.
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Very true. Drugs/alcohol/substances will just offer you temporary pleasure, but not a lifetime bliss. It is much better to find ways to motivate and inspire yourself instead of being drunk and high on your addictions.
    gracer likes this.
  4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Well said and you're right. A lot of addicts use drugs as a last resort in critical situations, and that's a very bad.
    I wish that all the people suffering from addictions would just get help, it would make a very big difference if someone even listens to what they have to say.
    gracer likes this.
  5. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

You have to find happiness in everyday. Even on your down days. You have to find the silver lining in everything. Some days that is not so easy which is understandable. I think the power of a positive attitude is everything when it comes to sobriety.
    gracer likes this.
  6. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I think our fault comes from the fact that we are unable to predict how things are going to unfold in the long run. We only care about our feelings in the present. That's how we get in trouble. If we could only see two or three steps ahead, we would know that what we are doing is causing us harm instead of relief. Easier said than done, though.
    gracer and CallipygianGamine like this.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

For me alcohol was the escape for my problems. It was easy to hide behind the bottle and pretend that your problems had disappeared. I took a long to see the mistakes of my way. I had to address the underlying problem and not the temporary band aid that alcohol presented.
    gracer likes this.
  8. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

So, so true. Especially when we step out of our comfort zones, which often tends to bring - surprise, surprise - discomfort. Which may make it all the more tempting to turn to a source of temporary comfort that’ll end up being more detrimental than anything. It’s valuable to learn how to just sit with the discomfort one may be feeling and to have faith that it’ll pass, but like you said, that’s easier said than done.
    gracer likes this.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Nice;y said. There are really times when we feel like our life is heading no where. What we need or can help us is to think and reevaluate things and try to relax. Do things that could make us happy such as bonding with family and friends, or being close with nature.
    gracer likes this.
  10. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

At some point in life, we'll get our hearts broken. We will lose loved ones, friends. People will betray us. That's life. And from it all, even if we don't learn something from the experience and depending on how we respond to it, we might emerge stronger knowing that pain can't kill someone. Escaping it for a little while never is a good solution because you'd only be postponing the inevitable. Eventually you must grieve your loss, get over it and move on. Let time and a positive attitude heal the wounds.
    gracer likes this.
  11. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

The bottle was the escape for me. It's easier to put on a fake smile and drink away all night then to face to problems that will still be there the next day. Life is better when you face your demons and not let them manifest themsleves.
    gracer likes this.
  12. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Sometimes, the cause of taking drugs is not depression or stress-related, but only to feel high, so they get addicted to it. But for those that are in pain and are looking for a temporary escape, then I think that they must just get themselves very busy so that the thing that is bothering them won't cross their minds and they won't resort to taking drugs.
    gracer likes this.
  13. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Famous author Junot Diaz (author of the book, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao) once said: "The only way out is in." This quote alone will tell you that escaping won't solve anything. You have to tackle your problems head-on if you want them to end.
    gracer likes this.
  14. gracer

Thanks for all your inspirational replies guys! :) I hope they will all serve as life lessons to all the people who are still in the company of drugs or substances. This forum is one great gift for lost souls who are trying to find their meaning. I'm getting more inspired to be a good influencer on people because of the posts I read here.
  15. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah, I'm pretty sure drugs and alcohol are not the answer. Trials and struggle, how we deal with them. I prefer to work a lot. If that is not what's going on. I work out a lot. Work on my body and my mind. You can't drown or dull things away.They come back with a vengeance.
    gracer likes this.
  16. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

That temporary escape was part of the allure of alcohol for me in the first place. Anything stressful, frustrating or anxiety provoking could be temporarily numbed with alcohol -- but ultimately, I'd end up feeling worse or more upset, which would just see me repeating the cycle to forget things. Not a healthy approach to dealing with the ups and downs of life at all, right?

For me it was about learning better coping mechanisms and that was a big part of helping my sobriety journey.
    gracer likes this.
  17. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

Life and the events that take place can sometimes leave you feeling frustrated and discouraged. There is nothing wrong with taking a time out, but it is how you spend the time that counts. Get up and go for a walk. Time alone outdoors, just being quiet and thinking things through will re-energize and invigorate you. Calm down and reassess the situation.
    gracer likes this.
  18. gracer

Wonderfully said oraclemay. :) Sometimes we need to take a time out from all the problems and stresses in our lives. And by taking the time out, it doesn't mean one has to seek the temporary relief that drugs or substances can give. Take the time out by trying out new things you've never done before, travel to places you've always wanted to go to, relax and appreciate the natural wonders of mother nature. There are a lot of things that could give us beautiful escapes from our stressful life. Traveling is my option right now whenever I feel like I want to have a break. It replenishes my tired mind, body and soul; and whenever I am fresh from a vacation, I feel so renewed and ready to face the world again.