An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Terrible anxiety in the evening when not drinking.

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by jumpergrrl1979, Feb 23, 2015.

1. I have recently tried to limit my drinking, however I find that in the evenings I have terrible anxiety and nervousness. The anxiety symptoms have progressed to the point where on days that I don't drink I find it difficult to sit still. The worst of my symptoms seem to come at night. As I begin to fall asleep at night I am startled awake with a feeling that I cannot breathe or my heart is actually stopping. I am not sure if it is the lack of alcohol that is causing my symptoms, but they do not occur on nights that I drink. If anyone has had similar symptoms I would love to hear from you.
  2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I kind of had a similar situation when I tried to limit my addiction. What I learned from my experience is that you should take baby-steps at first. Allow yourself a little drink just so you don't fall deeply into anxiety. After some time you'll calm yourself.
  3. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I found it helped a bit to purposefully wear myself out doing chores, laundry, dishes, etc... making sure everything is cleaned, put away and organized, so I am totally prepared for the following day. I don't leave anything laying around, like dirty dishes in the sink, or even a full dishwasher that needs emptying, always make sure my bed is made with clean sheets and fluffed pillows, the floors are mopped and spotless, the carpet is vacuumed, etc...

For whatever reason, knowing everything is in place and in order and I'm totally prepared for tomorrow, helped me sleep a little more assured and ready for tomorrow. Then I would often try to treat myself to a long hot bath instead of a quick shower, complete with bath salts (the real stuff not the street drug variety! lol) and/or some bubble bath I really liked.

Some nights I would even pre-program my coffee pot to start brewing at the same time that my alarm clock was set to go off, so I could wake up to fresh coffee.
  4. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

I think what you are feeling is probably normal. In the evenings you need to replace your old habits with new ones so as not to seem like you are sitting idle with nothing to keep you busy. Start working out, get a hobby, read, or even just go for a walk before bed to clear your mind. Positive reinforcement is very helpful.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I've been there myself as well. I found that the evening was the worst time, especially at the weekend's. During the week I found other things to do and and kept busy, at the weekends though when everybody was out having a beer or whatever I found that the hardest.

Sounds boring I guess but what helped me a lot was excersie. I went to the gym, bought a bike and started mountain biking, that kind of thing. Just anything really to take my mind off tthe fact I wasn't drinking.
  6. xSentaru

xSentaru Active Contributor

I'm personally trying to actively reduce how many nights I'm going to pubs/clubbing. I've never experienced anxiety in the morning, neither nervousness. Maybe a couple of times I was dizzy, haha. Also, did you know April is Alcohol Awareness Month? I'm celebrating it by drinking less. You should do too!
  7. vespid49

vespid49 Active Contributor

If you can't get to sleep, do something to distract your mind. Maybe go to the gym so that when you get home you get super tired and just fall straight asleep. Don't think that drinking will make it go away, though. If anything, it will just increase your dependence on it to get to sleep which is even worse.
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

If you've gotten used to the habit over a long period of time then you may just need some time to readjust to a more regular and natural routine. If it gets overbearing then I recommend checking in with a doctor so that you can find out exactly what is going on and see if there's anything you could do to combat it specifically.
  9. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I went through the same symptoms when I stopped drinking. I also had dreadful nightmares from which I awoke soaked in sweat. It took me a long time to find my inner balance again, but my persistence paid off in a big way, and so will yours. I found a lot of relief with the help of calming herbs such as valerian, chamomile and St. John's Wort. I also had weekly acupuncture treatments that helped me to detoxify faster. Swimming and walking all the anxiety off helped me as well. No matter how awful everything might feel right now, know that your are slowly getting better, and that your body is trying to find its natural balance again.
  10. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

These symptoms are characteristic of problem drinking. You may follow the measures below to get succor.

I think citrus fruits and regular exercise can help you a great deal. Also, draw up a dietary schedule and eat at least 5 times a day. Limit oily foods, while increasing a bit on high-quality proteins. Train hard for 45 mins a day, preferably, an aerobic exercise like jogging or swimming. Last but most importantly, taper off your drinking habit slowly. Don't limit it all at once. Good Luck!
  11. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

As others have mentioned I think sometimes cold turkey is not the best way - you may need to decrease the amount you drink in gradual bursts. Once you feel comfortable at a lesser level, try to decrease it again, and so forth. Hopefully by doing that, those anxiety symptoms will disappear, or at least not feel so prevalent. Sometimes it's better to do baby steps than trying to run a full marathon at once! Wishing you the best of luck with your journey.