An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Thank you for welcoming me.

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Libby, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Libby

Libby Member

I have a 21 year old son with SUD... primarily alcohol, but we suspect he is using other drugs as well. We saw the movie Beautiful Boy last night. It helped us understand some of what our loved ones experience on this path. We have had a difficult road with our son since he was a young child. It’s important to be loving to our loved ones who struggle with this challenging disease. I’m hoping to learn from all of you. Love to all who are suffering the effects of this dilemma
    Dominica and deanokat like this.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Libby... Welcome to the community and thank you for sharing. I'm glad you're here. As the father of a 28-year-old son who has been struggling with addiction since he was 15, I can relate to your situation. Just know that you are not alone.

I haven't seen the Beautiful Boy movie yet, but I read the book when it first came out and it's one of the best books I've ever read. I credit it with (literally) saving my life when my son was in the deepest throes of his addiction. If you haven't read the book, I highly recommend it. there are some other books that may help you, too. Here's the link to a blog I wrote about my favorite books:

6 Essential Books for Those with an Addicted Loved One

(FYI, the Beyond Addiction book is amazing. And it's written specifically for parents/partners of people battling addiction.)

I'm wondering... Have you tried going to Al-Anon meetings yet? If not, you should definitely check them out. It's a terrific group, and the comfort and help you will find at their meetings is invaluable.

The best advice I can give you is to take care of yourself. When someone we love has the disease of addiction, we need to work on our own recovery and practice self-care. Self-care is not selfish; it's absolutely essential.

We are here to help, support, and listen, so please stop by and lean on us anytime you might feel the need. In the meantime, I'm sending you tons of love, light, and hope. And I will say a prayer for your son, too. Remember: Love the addict...hate the disease.
  3. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Libby hello and welcome. glad you're here! i'm sorry your son is contending with addiction. i know that can be rough on the whole family.

i'm glad the movie helped you.... i want to see it!! i will wait till it comes on DVD.

hope to keep seeing you around here, and know that we will be thinking about and praying for your son and your family!!
    deanokat likes this.