An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The Alcoholic Family

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by gracer, Jun 4, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

If you look at how any alcoholic is brought up, you'll probably be able to make a connection between how they are now, and how their parents or the rest of their family are. I think it often seems to run in the family, if a person is brought up around alcohol from an early age, they also tend to think its normal and continue the cycle.
    gracer likes this.
  2. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

Many people might grow up with difficulties, abuse and other situations, but this doesn't mean we need to hide ourselves in alcohol, on the contrary, we should be strong and get away from misery, not increase it.
    gracer likes this.
  3. LovesBigFool

LovesBigFool Active Contributor

Despite there normally being many examples of alcoholism being passed down genetically in the world all around us, we still cannot state it as definite fact.

But personally, I know from my own life that my father was an alcoholic and eventually I became one as well. Thank God I am a sober alcoholic now. I believe that my heart rebelled against drinking and being drunk for much of my life. But eventually alcohol became part of my life and at my bottom became ALL of my life.

What I find significant and relevant to this discussion is that I never would have believed I would follow my father's example! Never was that going to be my path. Until it was and I was on it.
    gracer likes this.
  4. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I've come across such families, and it is indeed sad to witness. Families with high alcoholism, don't only suffer from severe health problems and other issues. But members of such families also tend to have very low job prospects and are often stuck in an endless cycle of poverty.
  5. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Most of the time children become a product of there environment. Everyone does have the power to make there own choices about what they will do with there own lives. Hopefully the rest of this family won't end up having the same fate as the father. It's really sad to hear they lost there father this way.
    gracer likes this.
  6. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Fаmily rесоvеry rеfеrs tо thе prосеss by whiсh this unit rеturns tо prоpеr funсtiоning fоllоwing аddiсtiоn. Аlthоugh in mоst instаnсеs оnly оnе mеmbеr оf thе fаmily will hаvе bееn а substаnсе аbusеr it will hаvе likеly impасtеd еvеrybоdy. Fаmily rесоvеry is sаid tо pаss thrоugh а numbеr оf kеy stаgеs whiсh inсludе:

* In thе first stаgе thе fаmily mеmbеr will still bе аbusing аlсоhоl оr drugs.

* In thе sесоnd stаgе thеrе will bе thе trаnsitiоn frоm substаnсе аbusе tо sоbriеty.

* Еаrly rесоvеry is thе third stаgе – this саn bе а diffiсult timе fоr thе fаmily аs еvеryоnе аdjusts tо thе nеw situаtiоn.

* Thе finаl stаgе is оn-gоing rесоvеry. By this timе thе fаmily will usuаlly hаvе аdаptеd tо thе nеw соnditiоns.
    gracer and deanokat like this.
  7. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I noticed this too with the family I mentioned in the OP and with other families with alcoholic members as well. They mostly live in poverty and maybe they use the alcohol as a means of escape from the reality of their situation, but they fail to realize that they are only making things worst for themselves and their family members. When one finally gets sick as a result of alcoholism, it's usually the family members who suffer more in trying to find ways to save that person's life.
  8. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

Alcohol running through a family can be very destructive to that the family. It will be very difficult for the family to break out of the habit because the support structure will be greatly compromised because and it will be difficult for a person being in a similar position being able to persuade the other person to stop what they are doing
    gracer likes this.