An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The Cocaine 5 Month Addiction Mark

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by melody, Feb 18, 2016.

1. melody

melody Active Contributor

A coworker has been using cocaine for about 3 months now. She says this is not a problem because she just has to quit in the next couple of weeks. She says that you only get addicted to cocaine if you take it for more than 4 or 5 months. Or at least that is what she claims happens with her. This is such a confusing topic, because I really have no idea how long you can use cocaine for before you get addicted. Is there really a magical 5 month addiction mark, or is that her excuse?
  2. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

No, it's just an excuse.
    This is EXACTLY how a cocaine addiction starts, or she could be very well already into addiction territory.
    I spent a few YEARS quitting "next week" "next month" "tomorrow" ect ect.
    These are all lies we tell ourselves, or more accurate these are tricks played in our mind by the addiction itself and the devil himself.
    Doing coke once is a problem, anyone who says different is not seeing things clearly. Believe me I know.
  3. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

Definitely sounds like an excuse to me! It really depends on the person and how frequently they use but addiction isn't really defined by a timeline so much as by patterns of behavior. If it is causing a problem in her life there is probably an addiction problem going on.
  4. melody

melody Active Contributor

That is what I thought. It is difficult when someone with a masters degree attempts to argue in defense of their own addiction. Their intelligence can make it difficult to see clearly tough all of the excuses. I find myself lost to such redirection. I still thought that it was just an excuses. She is not far from losing her job now, I just hope she can stop before she loses everything.
  5. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

It's crazy to me the amount of excuses someone will make up to justify that they aren't addicted. Honestly, having been a heavy user of cocaine, I think three months straight of use qualifies as an addiction no matter how frequently they use.
  6. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

One thing I notice about addicts is that they can lie very well. I don't know if the co-worker is just trying to convince herself she is not an addict, or just want to convince you. I have a family member like that. Since you work with her, please be careful with your belonging. They don't mean to steal, but they do what they can to keep up their habit.
  7. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I'm no expert on cocaine addiction, but the 5 month idea sounds like BS to me. That sounds like something an addict would say as an excuse. I'm pretty sure 3 months is enough time to become addicted to something, especially something like cocaine that is notorious for being very addictive.
  8. Mara

Mara Community Champion

This is the first time I've heard that one can only get addicted to cocaine after using it for five months. Your friend is either lying or misinformed. Well, it would be great if she can quit before the five month mark and not get addicted to cocaine but I guess it's like shooting for the moon.
  9. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Excuses... you can get addicted the first time you use it, but it depends on the person. Some persons can get addicted after just one use, others need more. Personally, I'd not risk it. If you know you have an addictive personality, don't risk it and even if you don't... you never know how soon you will get addicted.
  10. puneeth8994

puneeth8994 Active Contributor

Completely an excuse. It doesn't work like that. None of the drugs work like that.
  11. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Procrastination is one sign of addiction and is usually accompanied by rationalization. One creates self imposed limits and deadlines while doing little to change the situation on the ground where he or she has reached. There is no specific time frame for addiction since it can happen anytime and it is usually a slow process of one losing control of their drug cravings.
  12. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

That sounds pretty much like an addiction to me, at least that is the way that every known addiction starts, you simply say "I can quit" and "next month/week/year" in the same phrase. Also where did she got her facts from? Had she done cocaine before or that is what her dealer told her, because if it is, I have very bad news for her.