New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The "comfort"drug

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Observant, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Observant

Observant Member

Marijuana is so commonly and freely used today. Where it is not at all legal here in Indiana it appears to be. Everyone from senior citizens to middle school kids are smoking marijuana. I saw a gramdmother and her 17 year old grandson smoking marijuana together. Where this may be the drug that comforts and relaxes it is not possible to get a job with a system full of THC-Maybe she should be wise enough to encourage his future with these words!
  2. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

I've said so many times before that I don't think that cannabis is the "soft" drug so many people assume it is. There is increasing evidence that marijuana, especially for the young, can have a deleterious effect on brain chemistry and subsequently brain function. Add to that the increased strengths that people are consuming it at, and you have a very dangerous situation indeed.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

This disturbing attitude towards marijuana is unlikely to change. Over the past few years all the misinformation peddled by pro-marijuana advocates has got a lot of people to believe that marijuana isn't as bad as it was previously believed to be.

I think people need to be re-educated so they can know marijuana abuse is harmful to their health.
  4. SuniMac24

SuniMac24 Member

It is so concerning and frustrating for me as a parent of a teen who has been smoking marijuana for about a yr , to tell them to stop and that it has so many health and mental implications especially on the young developing brain, when Canada is about to legalize it for adults!!!! WTH! Im so worried that if my daughter doesnt stop this she will end up ruining her future or moving onto to stronger drugs and even worse wind up driving stoned and be killed or kill someone else! Its a constant worry as she has gone though an eating disorder and also has anxiety/depression as well and I have no idea what else i can say or do to convince her its a bad path .... She thinks because she does it a few times a week ( that she admits) she wont end up addicted or worse... The mind of a teen brain cant comprehend the implications into the future. So for now Im just struggling and being the over protective witch who wants to ruin all her fun in life !!!! There is no talking to her in a reasonable setting cause she flips out yelling and then nothing gets resolved .. Out of ideas here so if anyone has some suggestions Im so willing to try them.. Please!
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@SuniMac24... I responded to your post in another thread. :)
  6. JudiB

JudiB Member

Marijuana is said to be the safe drug but in reality, no addiction is safe. Concern for your loved ones is good. @SuniMac24 it is very difficult to take your daughter away from the addiction to weed, as you are feeling now.
    But if you directly ask the same thing, again and again to her, she will stop listening to you.
    You try to meet her friends and also try to meet people who overcome the marijuana addiction. They will help you, counsel them, they will guide you best.
    deanokat likes this.