An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The dangerous things we do while drunk

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Auril, Jul 31, 2015.

1. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

My biggest problem when living alone and drinking regularly is I would often get the munchies late at night and feel like it was totally fine for me to hop in my car and go grab some drive thru or takeout food. I'm amazed I haven't gotten more than the 2 DUI's I have on my record as a result, because there were many other times I've gone through a drive thru hammered and I'm beyond lucky the employees didn't call the cops on me. Or if they did, I somehow managed to get home without getting busted.

I almost contemplated coming up some some sort of time controlled safe where I could lock my car keys in it before drinking and knew that I couldn't get a hold of them until several hours later in the morning. Anything to keep me from grabbing my keys and leaving for stuff I don't really need.
  2. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I think that really depends upon your basic personality and your essential values. Knowing the difference between right and wrong. It does get impaired when you are drunk. Your judgement and ability to make good decisions. I really can't say that I did things that were terribly dangerous. Drinking and driving is not good. I think that I was coherent enough to drive those times that I did. If I was really far gone I wouldn't. One time perhaps I thought I shouldn't of. Many people think of this as dangerous. I believe i used my best judgement when I did. Now it is the past and over with. Over time I became more like it just didn't make sense because of consequences legally. I think I would have felt worse if I ever hurt anyone. I certainly have heard about plenty who have. I certainly had times where the next day or as I was doing it that I thought that wasn't a good idea. Overall I would end up just making sure that I would stay home or someone else would drive. But it can be hard to make sure that he person who drives has had nothing. I don't drink at all anymore so it is not an issue any longer or something that I even ponder. There is no desire for any of that or what goes along with it.
  3. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

Drinking almost ruined one of my friendships with a good friend. His gf at that time got me completely wasted and you can hypothesize why. After he found out, he almost stopped talking to me. He forgave me eventually and dropped the toxic girl he was with.
  4. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Luckily I haven't put my life in danger when I get drunk, I have done some things that I regret like being a little bit too honest with some people or kissing random strangers...but my dad used to drive when he was drunk, and we never had an accident but it was really scary for me and for all my family, but nothing really happened.
  5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

It always does. I think everyone has done something horrible when they are drunk. I think it is a silly question actually. That is the whole reason for wanting to be sober. So you don't act like the village idiot anymore.
  6. glockman

glockman Member

Back in school we used to have a cultural week every semester, culminating on Friday in a huge party. When I attended my first one, I got so drunk that while heading home, I tried to take a short cut through a fenced property. I heard the very unmistakable sound of a gun being racked. I may or may not have messed my trousers when I realized I'd practically broken into a police station. The only reason I did not get shot is that apparently other students made the same mistake all the time.
  7. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I've seen people do some really silly and embarrassing things after too much alcohol. There is a person I do business with that I consider to be quite a gentleman. I later found out that he has drunken weekends and is almost unrecognizable.

I still think there are people who overdrink and stay in their little corner at home. I've heard that a drunk man never tells a lie and for some that could be very dangerously revealing.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Fortunately, when I was drunk, I haven't done anything dangerous or stupid yet. And I hope I would not have to in the future. Well, the closest thing I could think of was when I tried to flirt with my ultimate college crush. I was not really a flirt, but since I was under the influence of alcohol, I guess I have became a little bit aggressive.
  9. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I don’t think that I’ve done anything that would haunt me for the rest of my life because I was drunk. Or perhaps I just can’t remember it? :eek:

But kidding aside, my drunken days were fun times. It was all good fun. I didn't do anything stupid or dangerous. It was my friends who did. But that's another story. ;)
  10. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

I have never drank to the point where I was drunk and thankfully I don't drink alcohol regularly or use it in a social way. I have seen numerous instances where persons where drunk and drove and caused accidents and even deaths. I saw this video recently on facebook where 4 men were in a car and all of them where drinking and they were speeding.
  11. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I never did anything overly dangerous while drunk, most of the time I stayed indoors when really drunk. I never went out and tried to drive. I think the most stupid thing I did while drunk was while I was on a holiday and ended up blacking out. Apparently I threw up on myself and other people... there was free bar...
  12. dechantajones

dechantajones Active Contributor

Like a few other bloggers posted I had an issue with not only driving drunk but also high. I was driving one morning after going on a drinking binge and smoking a large amount of marijuana the night before and cut off a cop at an intersection. I knew I was still high and intoxicated but I drove anyway. I received a misdemeanor charge, got a large amount of points put on my license and a huge fine. I should have went to jail but luckily my aunt came and spoke with the officer and I was given a citation instead of being imprisoned. You would have thought that would have been a turning point for me but it wasn't. It still took many years for me to get my drinking and smoking under control and quit.
  13. brookeemily

brookeemily Active Contributor

i've never done anything that put anyone else at risk physically, but i've done a lot of dumb stuff while under the influence emotionally. i almost cheated on my girlfriend while drunk and i feel like that's something very damaging that does happen to a lot of people. i also have been taken advantage of when i was too drunk, which made me want to stop.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I never experienced being drunk and just tasted some alcoholic beverages before.
    I knew some who did dangerous things while drunk like being scandalous in the public and caught for that due to alarm and scandal.
  15. Jorge Solis

Jorge Solis Active Contributor

Oh man! I think we do very dangerous things while we are under the influence of alcohol! Unfortunately, we regard alcohol as a part of our entertainment. Yet, we often fail to see the effects of alcohol. Many lives have been destroyed due to alcoholism. If we are going to use this substance, let us not abuse it!
  16. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

The most dangerous thing you can do is drive. I know it's not a new concept but putting other peoples lives at stake because of the state you are in, makes you dangerous.0 It's no surprise that most fatalities related alcohol are car accidents. For me, the most dangerous thing is jumping behind the wheel.
  17. greybird29

greybird29 Active Contributor

Whelp hum where to start LOL; while owning a bar for over 25 years we certainly did have some severely alcohol moments. One day while there I had a few beers and played some pool; an argument between a few drunken folks broke out and all heck broke loose.
    With me being the owner, I tried to rationalize with them as they were fussing in the parking lot. Stand next to her car I tried talking to the young lady and telling her it was time to leave. She begged me to “forgive” her and please “give her a hug”.
    Well when I leaned in to hug her she grabbed me by the hair and put the car in gear dragging me over 100 yards and then drove off. I was taken away in an ambulance; she got a DWI.
    I cannot state the few beers I drank impaired my judgment I would have still got involved and tried to settle the chaos. Yet I do know the young lady would have never acted the way she did if she was sober.
  18. greybird29

greybird29 Active Contributor

There was a time we had a huge Birthday party for a friend and I drank a big ole belly full. Decided I was unfit to drive and called a taxi; he arrived and I poured myself in give him my address and quickly went to sleep (passed out).
    When I awoke there was a State trooper, a sheriff, two taxis and a city policeman and I was laying in a snow bank with my husband yelling at me. The taxi had arrived at my address yet could not awaken me, called his partner and then the cops. My husband woke up and came outside and asks what the problem was; I needed to pay the fee and get out of the cab…
    He payed the cab fee and said I will show you how to get her out; he picked me up and threw me in a snow bank. Within moments I was well aware I had messed up awful.
  19. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I don't think I ever drove while drunk - I'm glad that I had that foresight because it would have been an absolute recipe for disaster. My regrets really stem from hook-ups with people that were even more detrimental for my self esteem. That, and just making a giant fool of myself in public on a regular basis. I will say though that looking back at those painful memories does make me appreciate just how far I've come.
  20. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I have never been a drinker, but more so a victim of people that do drink. I tend to be the person people like to prey on while drinking since I'm so passive and quiet. They know in their drunken state that I'm an easy target.

I think the most dangerous thing someone can do while intoxicated is ruin the relationships that are important to them while sober. It's a sad day when they realize they've scared everyone out of their life.