An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

the dangers of marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by wahmed, Mar 23, 2015.

1. wahmed

wahmed Active Contributor

There are a variety of different reasons that children use marijuana it can be due to peer pressure or curiosity. Whatever the reason one thing is certain that it is very dangerous for children in many ways.

Children who have untreated mental disorders or children who were abused are actually more likely to abuse marijuana.

People thing that marijuana is not an adductive drug. In fact this is an urban legend. 1 in 11 people who have just tried marijuana develop addiction. So if your child is experimenting stop it. Stop it fast.

More often than not it causes lower grades at school. This is because the drug has effects on learning and memory and even motivation for continuous users even after the high comes of.

Often the drug causes sycosis and paranoia. This can let to dangerous acts during use. If you think your child is using there is no magic way to talk to them. Each child is different and you have to bite the bullet and do it.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

All these pro-Marijuana arguments are doing more harm than good.

In small doses Marijuana might have some health benefits but if it's abused then the damage it would do to the person using would far outweigh the benefits. If a parent knows their child is using Marijuana then they must, no matter what it takes, try to get them to stop using the drug. It's easier to get kids off drugs if action is taken the moment it's learned that the child is abusing the drug.
  3. allswl

allswl Member

Kids should not take pot at all. It has been shown that a child brain is altered if on pot for too long. Keep in mind that a child brain is still developing. So the effect of pot on their brain can be devastating. I agree, any parent who finds out their child is taking pot must do something immediately.
  4. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

I agree with you that young children should not be smoking weed, but other than that I really don't see any sort of reason why it shouldn't be legal in the United States. Just have an age restriction on it like cigarettes and alcohol.
    Jericho Mercado likes this.
  5. Jericho Mercado

Jericho Mercado Active Contributor

As you may know, some states now have a medical marijuana clinics that require a health card. But yeah children should not be using marijuana. I think looking into how they get there hands on it so easily should be addressed. I don't condoned or agree with children using any form of drug or glue for as an inhalant but some how they find a way.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Children shouldn't be smoking weed, in fact children shouldn't be taking any substance including tobacco in my opinion. Growing up, the mind needs to learn how to develop and people need to learn how to think naturally without substances clouding the way they think.
  7. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Active Contributor

Children shouldn't be using or abusing any substance whatsoever. It is not the point whether marijuana has health benefits or not. A child developing mind and body should not be subjected to any form of abuse or ill-effective agents such as violence, junk food, incessant technology, loneliness, performance pressure and of course, drugs - all of which in my opinion are almost equally bad, one leading to another in some twisted way of progress.

Now coming to marijuana itself. It is not addictive any more than than say ice cream or chocolate. I have smoked up a lot at one time, simply because it made me numb and pretty good as a result. I was never addicted to it. I never felt like I 'had to'. Even now when and if I do smoke up, it's not out of any need or craving, but simply as an extra thing to do when everybody is sitting to have a nice time.

I'm not promoting the use of pot. Anything that is 'smoked' will in the long run harm the lungs, that is a given. And pot is no different. But between the ill effects of this and cigarettes, I would please please implore the world to believe that the latter is more addictive, more lethal than the leaves you fear.
  8. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Seriously, this is so true. Kids do not need to mess around with any type of substance whatsoever, that includes marijuana, tobacco, alcohol, even prescription pills that are not prescribed to them.
  9. pwarbi

While I don't think anybody on this forum would condone the use of marijuana, or any substance for that matter, but if people are to try it, and let's be honest people will, at what age do we think it can be tried with little consequences or side effects?
  10. devinametallic

devinametallic Active Contributor

Completely agree. As long as you're an adult and can become responsible for your actions, it shouldn't be that much of a problem in terms of parenting. The children will then be at an age where everything lies on them in terms of choices cause they can then make their own as they are entering "adult world." LOL
  11. Faithfulmarie

Faithfulmarie Member

I don't have an expert opinion on the dangers of marijuana, what I have a first hand experience of loved ones using marijuana at as early an age as 12 years, and the resultant effects. I have seen these children become reclusive, lose all interest in their education, health and even their hygiene. I believe that anything that can prevent someone from reaching their fullest potential must be something that should be avoided at all costs.
  12. pwarbi

At 12 years old your mind will still be developing so that is definitely too young to be trying out any substance.

In some cultures it's looked at as acceptable to be smoking as young as 8 and 9 years old. Surely people can see what effects it must be having on them?
  13. 6up

6up Community Champion

You first risk getting prosecuted and going to jail. Most smokers are never active and tend to like smoking every time. Smoking marijuana can lead to getting cancer. Most people fear working with people smoking Marijuana and one risks losing their job.
  14. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

Yes there are many dangers of smoking marjiuana. People only look at the fact that it causes cancer and that it erase brain cells. They do not consider why people may abuse it when it comes to mental illnesses. A lot of people say they smoke to get over their problems. Things such as depression and stress are things that cause problems and that leads to people abusing marijuana. I used to do this as well but now I have not smoked in four years.
  15. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I second that. Children should stay away from it. Period. Unless it used medicinally and prescribed by a doctor, then fine. If not, forget it.
  16. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

Marijuana in most countries can get you into trouble, and also the law is pretty harsh on sentences as well and it costs money as well and a person ends up being a slave to it easily. Children will learn to stay away from it, if they are in the right environment and also we can teach them to stay away from it and we can tell them about the consequences of taking the drug and what it can do. I reckon the world is starting to see the dangers, and also the media is getting it out there that this is a drug that can cause health problems as well.
  17. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

I think the only danger from it is that you could go to jail if it's illegal in your place. But medically or physically, there are really no bad stuff that could happen except maybe you bingeing on junk food after. That's not a good thing of course.
  18. ocurtis25

ocurtis25 Member

I tell you what it is not dangerous when it is grown naturally. Now
    when they start putting extra chemicals in the plant that when it get dangerous.
    Most people use it for medical purpose so use it for abuse purposes.