New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The day has come.

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Anonymous2001, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Anonymous2001

Anonymous2001 Member

Well, I am on probation for 6 months now. Im subject to random urine tests and pbt (I dont even drink) and my curfew is 8pm. I dont know what to do now, going home knowing I cant smoke. All my friends smoke, so now im just suppose to drop them and make sober friends. Life is just boring now...
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Anonymous2001 it may seem like life is boring... but it can be pretty awesome. it can be however you want it to be...even sober. you now have a choice. wallow in self-pity and be miserable... or choose to enjoy your life. try new things. make new friends. work on being a person who adds value to society. get a new hobby.. etc.

i hope you choose the latter.
  3. Anonymous2001

Anonymous2001 Member

i have anxiety and depression so im battling those as well, and being sober and its been really hard. only been 2 days
  4. Dominica

perhaps you can start a journey learning how you can best reduce anxiety and depression naturally. of course, there are treatments for such, but if you're looking for a more natural approach, start researching and trying things...

it sucks to have to rely on some substance to mask anxiety and depression the rest of your life... i know you don't want that, right? temporary solution (smoking)... is just that; temporary... and can begin a long road of addiction.

what are you trying to reduce symptoms naturally?
  5. Anonymous2001

Anonymous2001 Member

I was put on lexapro a few days ago and it takes 6-8 weeks to see a change. I was looking for a more instant medication other than an ssri
  6. Dominica

Oh, I see. I've heard good things about Lexapro.... so hopefully you will start feeling better soon!
  7. Josh111187

Josh111187 Community Champion

Hi I'm new here but I can offer some good solid honest advice. In my teens I was on probation and went to jail for seven months because of one bowl I smoked. While in jail I could get better, or so I thought stupidly at the time, stuff like pills. Anyway my point is this if, and I say this with great empaty, you think not smoking is hard then you obviously haven't had a serious chemical dependence. Which you do not want trust me. I just posted yesterday about a seizure I had while at the dr office because I was in withdrawal. I wish someone had told me 15 years ago when I was smoking and drinking the occasional beer that I was playing with fire and this probation could be a blessing in disguise. If your current lifestyle is already getting you into trouble with the law, then you should really reconsider what got you to this point. You really are at a crossroads and I hope you make the wise choice. You have a wonderful opportunity here to better your life. And will feel so good about yourself if you do. I'm praying for you.
    True concern likes this.
  8. Dominica

@Josh111187 thank you for your comment... so glad you are doing better!! (and sharing your story!)
    True concern likes this.
  9. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Great insight, @Josh111187. Thanks for sharing with us.