An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The day I hit bottom and stayed there

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Ledbeter36, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Ledbeter36

Ledbeter36 Member

I hope in some way this helps someone to realize there's hope because that was my biggest hurdle no hope. This is still very painful for me to relive.

I don't even know how to start I'm 39 now I started my addiction at 24. I was working roofing and construction then and had met the love of my life. I knew from the beginning she was special. I had never in my life felt like I did about her. But we were both young and wild and experimenting. Well I hurt my back and I went to the local dr. Who was very liberal with pain pills. I eventually graduated to OXY and some terrible things happened between my GF and I who was pregnant with our daughter. We split up and I started using to suppress the anger, pain and embarrassment I felt. We eventually got back together but I didn't deal with our issues and used even more. She watched me spiral out of control untill she could no longer take it. By now we were married and our daughter was 2. I was so lost I stopped talking to her and seeing my daughter I just disappeared out of my daughters life for 7 years. I lost everything my wife, my daughter, a house, a boat and my truck. I was a functional addict and made good money but I was spending at least a 1,000. A week on Oxy. I was so sad I knew I'd OD one day and decided to kill myself but I was too much of a coward. Then after years of being bottomed out I lucked up and met a friend who had beaten addiction and he helped me find my way to help. He helped me to realize it's not too late. I cleaned up it was the hardest thing ever. Eventually I decided I wanted to be a father to my daughter and contacted my ex wife and humbly apologized. We talked for the first time in 7 years and she realized I was the man I once was only stronger. We both walked away from our current relationships and reunited our family. We remarried and I worked on repairing my relationship with my daughter and making up for the last 7 years. I will never go back. Please anyone here looking for hope don't give up its never too late. Not everyone will get their family back but you deserve to be happy and I promise the life waiting for you is so much better than your life of addiction. I have never met anyone who used as much opiates as me and didn't OD if I can get my life back so can you. Reach out please. I'm sorry it's so long my story is way more detailed but I didn't want to bore you to death.
  2. Jenga

Jenga Active Contributor

@Ledbeter36, thank you so much for sharing your story. It must be difficult to relive everything while you were typing that. I'm sorry that things in your life went the way they did. It must of been really tough living without your family for so long. I'm really glad that things are shaping out to be better for you. I hope you are able to patch everything up with your family. It will be difficult, there will be a lot of issues, but you've got to stay strong, if not for yourself, for your daughter. She's at an age where she will still respect you no matter what. Keep staying strong and avoid relapsing like your life depends on it, because in a way, it actually does.

Your story is really inspirational, not boring. Thank you again for sharing <3
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Ledbeter36... Welcome to our community and thanks for sharing your story with us. What an inspiration! I'm so glad you found the path to recovery, and that you and your wife are together now!

Hope is such an important thing, and it's always there...even when we can't or don't want to see it. I think people who read your post will see that recovery is indeed possible, and that they should never ever give up.

Thanks again for sharing. I'm glad you're here. :)
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

First off let me say congratulations on getting your life back in order and for getting clean. That is such a huge accomplishment. Your story is truly an inspirational one and one it will help so many others. Thank you for sharing. I am so happy that you got your family back together. That is just awesome! Your story was far from boring. It was very well written. Thanks again for taking the time to share it with us.
    deanokat likes this.
  5. ArsenaP

ArsenaP Member

@Ledbeter36 I wanted to personally thank you for posting your story. I found it inspiring and heart touching as my dad was never in my life and he is still doing the in and out of jail routine thanks to a drug habit. Your story reminds me that it is never to late and change can happen. I absolutely love hearing success stories like this!
    deanokat likes this.
  6. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Ledbeter36, I was just about to turn my computer off as I've had a very long and physically painful day and then I read your post. I have truly been inspired. It is the kind of story I like to find at the end of a long hard day. My heart is truly filled with joy for you and your family. I pray your story can be the catalyst for many who might be feeling hopeless and lost. The battle can be won and your are living testimony. Welcome.
    deanokat likes this.
  7. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Your story is inspirational.
    How you turned your life around is nothing short of amazing.
    God bless you!
    I hope other will read this and realize you can always clean up, you can always get your life back.
    I too thought I was too old to change, here I am a sober well respected member of my community.
    deanokat likes this.
  8. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

@Ledbeter36..You had a very inspiring life story..This only shows that life has still many things to offer to us after our mistakes in life..That is why each and one of us whether we are into any kind of addiction or not we should NEVER LOSE HOPE for..Life is beautiful and we have to forget our past mistakes, go and move on and enjoy life's pleasures and be happy living our life with our love ones. I pray that you will totally move on to a new road to your life journey and all the best of luck to you and your family.
    deanokat likes this.
  9. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

Thanks for sharing your story! You can find the love of your life again! Do not give up hope on finding love again. We all deserve love and you will find it soon! Just focus on staying sober and good things will fall into place.
    deanokat likes this.