An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The debate is on

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Nikkishea21, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

The debate is on in my country right now. Government ministers are in parliament debating a law for the right to have individuals legally having small quantity of marijuana in their possession. I know that this is going to harm us as a nation if such a law is passed and I just do not want it to become a reality.

The smoking of marijuana is not something that should be glorified or publicized in any way. I know the negative effects that marijuana can have on someone first hand and to have a country filled with persons going around in this state legally, is just something that really scares me.

I know that the drug is one that possesses medicinal properties and this should be tapped into by trained individuals only. It cannot be harnessed just by smoking. I would want to see people gaining access to it solely for medicinal purposes and through prescriptions only, not through the smoking of it.
    Winterybella likes this.
  2. DiscoLizard

DiscoLizard Member

3. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Why would a law like that scare you exactly? Sure, pot has negative effects, but so does prison. While drugs can never be viewed as a good thing when used in a recreational manner, there are tonnes of good people who have experimented with it in the past. Imagine if everyone who had ever tried pot were caught and had a criminal record. How many less teachers, doctors and nurses would there be today because of some stupid mistake they made as a kid? To me, that's a lot scarier than some teens down the street, smoking pot and minding their own business.

You just can't throw good people in jail because they got intoxicated once. It's a horrible thing to do to people, many of whom don't deserve it. And as long as alcohol is legal (which I don't use, by the way), there is no reason to keep pot illegal. It is well known that - aside from legal implications - the effects of alcohol in terms of physical addiction, toxicity and poor judgment are many times worse than with pot.

And what's next? We throw people in jail for eating too much fattening food? Or not working out three times a week? Nobody out there is as healthy as they could possibly be, should we all be thrown in jail? What about the cars, lead, factories and oil we use everyday? Isn't that bad for our lungs? Why don't we lock up the old lady down the street for having some wine with her dinner? Surely a responsible adult can't practice moderation with a harmful substance. Should she be thrown in jail? Or what about failing a grade in high school? That's TERRIBLE for you. That can ruin your life five times over. Should people who fail grade ten be thrown in jail to teach them the importance of living a good life?

It just doesn't make sense. Prison won't help these people. They'll go from playing video games all day like an idiot, to breaking into cars and getting into fights because that's all they've known all those years in jail. How does that help anybody? It would be one thing if keeping it illegal stopped people from smoking it, but it doesn't. Tonnes of people smoke it. Everywhere. So who is prohibition helping exactly? Why are we letting people go to gangs and drug cartels to get high when we could redirect them to the closest drug store and put those gangs out of business? Why are we funding organized crime when we could be taxing pot and funding our health system to help FIX bad lungs, or to fund our education system to EDUCATE people enough so that they don't use drugs in the first place.

I don't know about you, but if I had a child who smoked pot, I'd rather him get it at a gas station with a fake ID than from a drug house filled with addicts and AK47s.
    Momma9, elles-belles and Mackmax like this.
  4. Mackmax

Mackmax Active Contributor

I LOVE this! You could not have explained this any better, and I agree with all of your points. Prohibition has been implemented in the past, and it failed miserably. The economy suffered, crime rates increased, and policemen had to work overtime to keep up with all of the moonshiners. You're right, there are so many things that we use every day that could kill us, from the soda we drink to the exhaust from our cars.
  5. bsthebenster

Thanks. You're right in that the big problem here is that prohibition doesn't work. It would at least make a bit of sense if hurting some innocent pot smokers actually made a difference, but it doesn't And it's not really something that's up for debate at this point either. We KNOW that it doesn't work. Not just with booze and pot, but with anything.
  6. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Active Contributor

Well that's true but as long as you have Alcohol and tobacco, you will have a fight to legalize Marijuana. It's not fair for those that smoke weed, at least that's how they see it. The overall benefits of Marijuana are very good when in a controlled environment. Also once the government gets a legal hold of this who knows what they will do to it. Modify it I'm sure.
  7. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I have to say I love how bsthebenster passionately and wholeheartedly tackled this pot debate! Personally I am inclined to agree with you there and I am not taking away the fact that there are people out there who are scared of pot being legalized for a lot of their own reasons, and mostly because they see pot as just another drug that is distracting many people and causing lot of upset in communities. However if we look at this in the most objective and smart way, we would realize that people will do what they want to do! No government law or anything can stop anyone from doing as they please, so even if marijuana was to be banned and so forth....people will always find a way to use it! This is why I think the strategic and really sensible thing would be to make it safer for people who do smoke pot to do it without having to break any laws; this like bsthebenster has already clearly pointed out at least gives us the assurance that we reduce gang activity, drug cartels and all the nasty business' that come from trying to tighten laws and force people into obedience! With that said, this debate is one that will continue to go on as different people will always have different opinions when it comes to the legalization of marijuana!
  8. NanaTracyAnn

NanaTracyAnn Member

I see that people who smoke and not violent at all and actually are quit nice and stable. It should be legalized.
  9. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I've received negative comments for advocating a complete ban on marijuana. However, I would like to maintain my stance. Different people have different opinions on this matter, depending on where they stand with their values. It's better to not add to the ills we already have in society by permitting the use of a substance that could very well hurt people who have no control over themselves. In another thread, someone mentioned about America's painkiller addiction. That many Americans easily get addicted to even the simplest substances only justifies the need to ban marijuana altogether.
  10. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

I disagree with all naysayers of hemp/cannabis, but I could care not for the Legal term called marijuana.

Regarding hemp/cannabis, it is one of the most beneficial plant on this planet whether people wish to accept this fact or not. Most people's views about hemp/cannabis have been distorted and misled for the last century by marketers, attorneys, and politicians who had their own agendas to serve against the medicinal plant. Historically, cannabis use has never caused a single human death by itself, but many still believe in this falsity about it being lethal. Hemp can be used for some many things that it's quite understandable as to why many business people who did not grow or benefit from hemp growers pushed to ban it and defame the plant, because they would have been struggling or all out of business!

There are many things humans consume that have caused so much more health problems and deaths in humans than hemp has or will ever effect, things like corn syrup, caffeine, steroids, mushrooms, poison oak, ethanol, and even water have caused the death of more humans than hemp! Yet people still ignorantly and stereotypically believe hemp is something that is bad, illful, or negative to society - but I don't expect less from generations of misled humans who never muster the curiosity to think beyond the perceptions given to them beyond word of mouth from other misled and oppressive people.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  11. bsthebenster

But painkillers aren't the simplest substance at all. The painkillers in question aren't things like Advil and Tylenol. All the painkiller addictions deal with substances like oxycodone or hydromorphone, known to be even stronger than heroin. Opiates are far from light or simple drugs, they have always been known to be one of the most dangerous out there.

The difference between weed and opiate painkillers is that when you stop taking weed you get some cravings at the very worst, when stop taking painkillers you hallucinate, vomit and are in immense pain for days on end. It's not fair at all to compare one of the lightest drugs in existence to one of, if not the heaviest.
  12. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

I don't think it much matters what the effects of marijuana are on people. Alcohol is legal and it damages far more peoples lives when it comes right down to it. We live in a country that supposedly values liberty. And while I'm not in favor of complete freedom, I do think for the most part people should be free to make choices for themselves. Smoking marijuana is a choice grown adults should be free to make if that's what they want to do.
  13. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I'm not comparing the drugs. All I'm saying is that addiction is addiction - no matter how many times you flip the coin, you'll still get the same thing: a path towards self-destruction. Why are people always making excuses to be an addict? If you really want to reduce drug incidences, you have to ban addictive substances that ruin your physiology. Simple as that.
  14. ThatKidWithTheFace

ThatKidWithTheFace Active Contributor

As someone who has seen the effects of drugs like heroin and meth, all I can say is . . . Come on, people! It's just weed.

We live in a society where pumping caffeine and nicotine through your body is "okay". So, why are people still making a big deal about weed?
  15. bsthebenster

But you say that as if banning it works. Weed has been banned for years but people still smoke it. How exactly is throwing pot smokers in jail and preventing them from getting a good job in the future any less destructive? Can you really say that you've never once in your life engaged in a possibly addictive behaviour? How would throwing you in jail help? Besides, weed isn't addictive.
  16. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

"Not through the smoking of it" she says. Oh it certainly is being glorified. Young people are moving to the states that allow it just for the purpose of having legal access. There is nothing to do about that here in the US.. Sort of a joke really. They can go to college in a state that allows it and go get their card. Come up with some excuse why they need it and they get it. Doesn't even have to be true. California it seems like people treat it like some grand thing that already was all over there in the first place. Like common practice on the DL that wasn't even barely hidden. I've listened to some people who were against this sort of thing that are now saying it's ok because it's almost legal. How stupid is society if they think that something that was illegal that is slowly becoming legal is ok because of medical use? Good luck. People need to get the banana out of their ears. The naturalization of a nation takes years. This is what is happening making people think that this is acceptable.
  17. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

With all due respect, this is just fear mongering. You make it sound like marijuana is going to destroy the world or something. In the United States, two states(Colorado and Washington) have fully legalized marijuana use and guess what, those two states are doing just fine. They are also raking in millions of dollars in tax revenue as well.
  18. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

In the U.S. most states have legalized it. It's not going to be the end of the world if they legalize it in your country. I can understand your concern about the wrong people running around high. Still this doesn't increase crime in most areas it's usually other things like harder drugs.
  19. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

They are doing the same here. So far only a few individuals have managed to get this done, so now they can grow and consume their own marijuana without fears of being persecuted by the authorities. They said this would open the door for others wanting to do the same... we will see.