An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The Fight for Marijuana Legalization

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by gracer, Apr 23, 2015.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

We know that Marijuana use is legal in 5 states of the US right now and just recently around 300 people gathered in California to smoke weed all at the same time in the fight for Marijuana legalization. It's the biggest gathering of Marijuana users I've seen yet. When I saw it on TV I had mixed feelings about it because it seemed like most of those who attended the gathering were very young. What do you think of this latest demonstration? Do you think it is justifiable or more of a rebellion?
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

It was against the law so it was rebellion. Fighting against the system.

They did make a statement, and I don't know if anyone got arrested, but did it have a positive effect on having Marijuana legal in California? I think a simple organized protest would work also. But they did get a lot of camera time by smoking it in public.
    gracer likes this.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

In a way I do think they are justified to voice their opinions in this way. How can one state say it's fine to smoke it and then you drive 20 minutes over a border and then it be illegal?

The law when it comes to marijuana should really be the same across the country, not different from state to state.
    gracer likes this.
  4. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

I truly believe that if this thing is legalized, then chaos and even people getting addicted to it will stop. There's something about laws that makes more criminals. Dualities.
  5. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

The American people have the right to assmeble within the parameters of the law, and peacefully. That demostration was rebellious and people are made aware of how many people want this to happen.
  6. DCMY

DCMY Member

Legalization of marijuana is a very relevant topic and it has been exposed to a lot of negativity. Scientific tests have proven that out of the legal (alcohol, tobacco) and illegal (other drugs), weed has the least side effects. It is not something you can get addicted to that easily or suffer major health issues (if used within normal amount). One thing to keep in mind, too much of anything is bad. I think that it is a very counter productive decision to ban marijuana. It is legal in 5 states in the US and their economy and well-being have flourished ever-since it was legalized. By legalizing weed criminal activities would be also smaller. But it's the price that has to be paid to live in the society we live in. Legalization of weed is proving to be a good step every day and it's only a matter of time before people realize how good it really is.
  7. LaraLara

LaraLara Member

I remember when I was younger, I smoked weed, took drugs, all as an act of rebellion.. I really regret it now. I think the things we aren't allowed to do, we usually end up doing just to say a big F.U to our oppressors. Although in Thailand it seems to work wonders, I have been here a while now and have not come across one stoned or drunk idiot, they stick you in prison for life for that kind of behavior over here. I don't know weather having that much of a hard stance is the way to go, but from this end it certainly looks like it!