An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The Fight for Marijuana Legalization

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by gracer, Apr 23, 2015.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

We know that Marijuana use is legal in 5 states of the US right now and just recently around 300 people gathered in California to smoke weed all at the same time in the fight for Marijuana legalization. It's the biggest gathering of Marijuana users I've seen yet. When I saw it on TV I had mixed feelings about it because it seemed like most of those who attended the gathering were very young. What do you think of this latest demonstration? Do you think it is justifiable or more of a rebellion?
  2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Since it's illegal, it's more of a rebellion than anything else. However, marijuana legalization does have its economic benefits, which California could use, though marijuana should be restricted to persons 21 years of age and older. There are still downsides to legalization that few proponents want to admit. Colorado has already started reaping some of the benefits, though.
    gracer likes this.
  3. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

I saw it on tv too. I'm not sure if the the media didn't interview the main proponents of the rally or they just hid. The thing with marijuana legalization as a form of vice and not just medicine is that it needs a strong political entity for it to come into fruition. A call to legalize marijuana is not as simple as changing the name of a street. The stigma of weed is very much present. Legalization in Colorado may or not have led to growth depending on which political side you are in. The rally in California did not seem to have a strong presence. It lacked a confident majority and/or a charismatic presence. I mean all they basically did was toke. That's what our media showed anyway.
    gracer likes this.
  4. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I don't think it would be fully be accepted as, most likely people would misuse the law and also it could be a thing that may not be viewed in a good light as well. It should not be, given to just anyone as well and also I think that some people could think it is a way to get high and also not a strong reason to legalize it as well. I think it will be monitored and also, it will not just be added into the laws and also I think that the law will not fully accept this drug as well.
    gracer likes this.
  5. gracer

I agree with you guys! Although I agree with the use of Marijuana for medicinal purposes, I think it will still take a long long time before it becomes legal in that sort of way. The negativity of it outweighs its benefits. The legalization is a complex issue to tackle so I think the fight will go on until the law will find a perfect way to deal with its negative effects on society.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

The fight to legalize marijuana has been a long one but I do think that it will happen in the end. More and more people are coming round to the fact it's not as bad as people thought.

Sooner or later it will happen wether people like it or not I think.
    gracer likes this.
  7. 6up

6up Community Champion

It is justified in their plan according to their service charter.. to deliver development that is incomparable. If they are unable to do that they ask a smoky community what they can give them. Answer- THE INDEPENDENCE TO SMOKE
    gracer likes this.
  8. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

Actually there is some merit in the argument. Medical cannabis is used for multiple sclerosis, epilepsy and other neurological conditions. It's even used in HIV patients as well. It provides relief to chronic painful conditions. However, it can be abused easily as well. I don't talk about the demonstration, but I'd wait and see what Calif administration does.
    gracer likes this.
  9. Charli

Charli Community Champion

It's justifiable in my opinion because I don't believe that governmental laws are perfect and if there are some that we come to realize are unfair we should be able to convey it without fear of negative ramifications. I think to blindly follow without question laws and traditions we were born with is a disservice to humanity's present and future.
    gracer likes this.
  10. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

It's the sign of the times. Every state is looking to create revenue and Colorado has set the standard on how it is to be done. In the next 10 years I predict that a quarter of the state will be legalized. It won't be because of the medicinal purposes, it's going to be about the money that they generate from the sale.
    Winterybella and gracer like this.
  11. gracer

What distracted me in that recent demonstration in California was the scene of the people who were there. I assume that those people or most of them are not fighting for Marijuna as a medical agent but rather as a form of vice. I was expecting to see more of those people who wanted marijuana to be legalized as a cure.
  12. devinametallic

devinametallic Active Contributor

It's both. People should just be able to smoke in terms of justified reasons and in terms of rebellion...it's just like having a mom or dad telling you no...it only makes you want to do it more.
    gracer likes this.
  13. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

They were doing a illegal activity, so it was rebellion. Hopefully they were of legal age, not saying it makes any difference because it is illegal but at least we didn't have minors smoking on government property.
    gracer likes this.
  14. westmixxin

westmixxin Active Contributor

For crying out loud it's california we are the weed capital of the world how are we 6th on the list for legalization it makes no sense. We have the best weed there is. Please lets make the right move here people. Weed is coming lets make it happen.
  15. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

They were rebelling of course. If marijuana became legal every were I think that it is not going to improve anything but make matters worse.
  16. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

They should have been charged if they did that in a state where it is illegal.
    I will be saddened to see lots of young people in there fighting for marijuana to be legal. There are lots of other important things that they should give attention to than that.
    gracer and jbbarn like this.
  17. jbbarn

jbbarn Active Contributor

I think we have enough to worry about without legalizing another mind-altering substance! Those of us who are older know some of the dangers of prolonged marijuana usage. I have re-connected with friends who were long term pot smokers, and they could barely string two sentences together! Our schools aren't teaching squat anymore, so let's legalize marijuana! That will definitely give our youth an advantage on the world's economic stage. Yeah it makes a lot of sense to me!
  18. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I have seen many people gathering not just in California but other states in this nation and around the world where legalization of marijuana is a claim from different sectors of society, and all with the same characteristics that more than a rebellion made me recall those gatherings of the late 60s/early 70s we can see in documentaries; gathering in which young people claimed the legalization of LSD, the flower power and other cultural elements of their generation.

I guess we are witnessing the emerging of a new counterculture protesting to defend what they believe to be their legit rights and lifestyle standards, with marijuana being the symbol of the movement.
    gracer likes this.
  19. jbbarn

jbbarn Active Contributor

Yeah and it did a world of good for the sixties and seventies generation:rolleyes: Like the song says, "...a generation lost in space, with no time left to start again..." It's a sad situation!
    gracer likes this.
  20. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

From my point of view, legalizing it for the persons who are 21 or older would do a benefit to the world, first there would be a total disinterest since the drug became illegal, maybe for the first few months people would go crazy, but after that no one would still want to smoke it and teenagers wouldn't find it so cool to do it. Second, there is no case of death provoked by marijuana from what I know, while alcohol and tobacco kills hundreds of thousands a year.
    gracer likes this.