An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The food therapy method

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by sazzydan, Mar 4, 2015.

1. sazzydan

sazzydan Active Contributor

Hello!

Have any of you heard of the food therapy method?

It is basically replacing your habit with a healthy food option when you get a craving! I think this is a brilliant idea if your trying to come off anything, it is good for you and helps to top up your daily vitamins which is helpful when trying to come off any substance. There are many ideas with this method, such as pomegranates for when the cravings are bad because they keep you busy whilst eating it and its good for you as the same time!

Any thoughts on this?
  2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

It does work great if you are filling the void with fresh fruit and veggies. The problem most people have is that they eat junk food and then gain a bunch of weight. It is better to find a way to occupy your mind.
    sazzydan likes this.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It certainly seems like a good way to distract yourself from cravings. However, is just replacing one addiction with another? Whilst it's definitely a valuable coping strategy, it's important to address the issues behind your habit in the first place if you want to live an addiction-free life.
    Rosyrain likes this.
  4. pandabear1991

pandabear1991 Active Contributor

I used deli cheese ( Sharp Cheddar, Provolone, or Havarti) and an oven roasted turkey to help here. I also kept apples, bananas and grapes on hand. I definitely have gained nearly 30 lbs since I put down the cigarette, but I feel this has a lot more to do with my lack of daily exercise. Hopefully I will get back into a swinging daily routine and stay that way :]
    Rosyrain likes this.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is like emotional eating and/or food cravings. I do find it helpful to eat when feeling stressed, depressed or angry and so, I do believe in this food therapy method. :D
    Just avoid over eating of course and prefer those healthier foods as much as possible.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I kind of do this with my craving for cigarettes, although I usually don't reach for fruits or any other healthy food and instead I just drink a glass of water. It doesn't satisfy my craving for cigarettes but it does remind me that I am trying to stop so it helps me out just enough and my own willpower does the rest.
    Rosyrain likes this.
  7. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I have never heard of it and my thoughts are that it's a brilliant idea. I think it s a method for people struggling with any issue and pomegrantes keeping you busy when eating the fruit: isn't that the truth. I think it's an all round excellent idea.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  8. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I sure won't oppose to this form of therapy. It's a whole lot better than exchanging one substance for another. At least with food, you can guarantee that it nourishes your body. Yes, there's a limit to how much food one should consume, but if this method will stop you from abusing substances, then there shouldn't be any complaints. Besides, once you've fully recovered, it's inevitable to snap out of it and get back into shape.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I don't think it's a bad idea, it's actually pretty great. As long as your alternative food method is healthier, like eating fruits and vegetables rather than meat.
  10. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Food is the most popular way to deal with cigarette cravings, but at some point you have to cut back on the eating and do something else to stop the cravings. After you have been off the cigarettes for a while, many of the cravings will go away and you won't have to try so hard not to pick one up. I read a lot of comments about cold water being a good craving stopper, but I find that hot beverages work best for me because you have to sit there and sip on the drink, therefore giving yourself something to do.
  11. Kaylaz

Kaylaz Member

I've done this so many times. Failed a few times with it and tried again, this time it is sticking. I use fruits and veggies to replace fatty snacks like chips and cookies. They are helping a lot and I feel so much better about everything.
  12. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

I have done this and it has successfully reduce my cigarette addiction to the point where I don't enjoy smoking anymore. However, the food that I eat is not always healthy as the food that I eat during my cravings need to be strong tasting one in order for it to be a successful alternative. I tried to gradually move to healthier food so that I won't encounter another health problem in the future so hopefully it works.
  13. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

Yup I've heard of it before; cigarette smokers used to munch on thin slices of carrots or celery and fondle them with their hands to replace the sensation of holding i cigarette. Definitely a much healthier option than 'vaping' or using an eCig. I don't know about the effectiveness though.
  14. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

Do cupcakes count? They make me smile! :) See!

All joking aside I think trying new foods and flavors is a great idea to curb a bad habit craving. I suggest pineapple with tajin seasoning on it. Its a weird combination of sweet, sour, salty, and spicy. I think it would be a great way to trick your brain when it starts craving something harmful. Try it, I'd love to know if anyone else gets satisfaction from it like I do. :)
  15. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think that this is a good idea to replace your vice with healthy and non-fattening foods. Just don't overdo it though, since anything that is in excess can lead to another problem, which is weight gain. I think nuts and fruits can be a good substitute.
  16. Kaylaz

Kaylaz Member

Cupcakes are always the best during bad times for me! :D Serenity, I agree. Don't overdo it on the healthy foods. My mother always told me, "It's not what you eat, but how much you eat of it."
  17. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

How successful is this food diet therapy? I do have cravings for some foods like chicken, pizza, and pot stickers when I go to the sushi buffet. If the food is really good then it should be good enough to take away your cravings for drugs.
  18. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Agreed. Vegetables are better alternatives to almost anything. I personally don't think vaping is that bad and I'm guessing it's a bit more effective than celery or carrot sticks but you're right those are still ultimately much better for you.
  19. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

It's a good idea. We actually are suppose to eat not do drugs. Lol. 25-32 ounces of water first and then a ton of fruit would do it actually. Just a couple of pieces would be starving yourself. The craving will come right behind if you skimp.
  20. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Interesting - I guess that my concern would be that for most addicts, a substitution isn't really a good answer...I think for me I had to get to the root cause of what was making me an addict in the first place. I totally believe in a healthy diet and eating well, but I don't know about eating every time that I had a craving. I think that would have just seen my weight increase rather than tackling any of the bigger issues!