An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The Gateway Drug

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by bretthuda33, Feb 10, 2016.

1. bretthuda33

bretthuda33 Active Contributor

In the past, I was an avid smoker and loved it more than almost anything in life. I felt like it made everything so much clearer and easier to do. I never believed it was a gateway drug and led to other hard drugs and I still don't. It is in my opinion a gateway to other addictions and habits. I had a grow operation with a friend and as soon as I had kicked the need to smoke, he stopped being my friend and screwed me over. I lost around 3000 dollars. I have let go of the money but I finally see what it was doing to me. The world is constantly changing and I found out that smoking weed was keeping me from changing with it. I know this because I still smoke every once in a while and I get a new feeling each time. My friend was just like me, always wanting weed. Then he started getting money from the weed which led to him buying more and more things like video games and pieces. I know this is an addiction because he was really close to me yet continued to screw over our business arrangements and the greed finally overtook him.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  2. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

I don't htink it is healthy to love a substance almost more than life. This may have been a clear sign of a slight addiction. I do believe that there is hope for anyone who admits they have a problem and do hat they have to do in order to solve the problem. Good luck to you guys..it is not impossible.
  3. bretthuda33

It is very unhealthy to think that anything is greater than life, except maybe death because life depends on it! I just got so involved into life and never took the time to think about what I was doing to my mind. Honesty is the best policy and though it might sound cliche, you won't get anywhere in life knowingly lying to yourself.
  4. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Don't take this the wrong way but I think that you got out at the right time. The idea that marijuana is not addictive is as absurd as they claimed in the past that tobacco wasn't. If it starts controlling your life and the only thing that you think of is how you are going to get your next high, it's not much of life.
    There is only one truth we are born and we will die, what we do in the middle is what counts.
    Winterybella and bretthuda33 like this.
  5. bretthuda33

It's funny how that works, life and death. Many people feel like it is an involuntary act to be born or to die, but they are both wonderful laws of life that we never have to worry about too much. Of course people will worry about them, but in my situation I feel I didn't get out at the right time because I was forced out of it and I don't feel like I got a say in what happened. But at the same time that was the right time because it has shown me that life will take care of itself to a great extent.
  6. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Marijuana is addictive. If you take too much marijuana it first attack your body than your mind. You will lose weight and beocme lean then your brain stops functioning. Marijuana is actually a gateway drug. if you smoke marijuana regularly, one day you will find that marijuana is not giving you high. Then you will be looking for alternative drug.
  7. bretthuda33

It is different for everyone. For example, many people tend to eat MORE when they are under the influence of weed. If it is hemp it has CBD which will not get you high and is a neural protectant against rapid firing.
  8. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I am always interested in the marijuana conversation to learn as much as I can. I have met some here in the forum when I first joined who felt very strongly that it was a gateway drug as they spoke of their personal experiences. It's interesting to see the way it has been presented by @bretthuda33 - not as a gateway drug but as a gateway to other addictions and habits. Interesting.

I am still thinking that the other addictions almost always related to harder drugs but..........I don't know.