An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The Government is not aiding addicted people.

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by sharatharadhya, Feb 3, 2016.

1. After all of these discussions has anyone given a thought over what can be done to completely eradicate this mayhem caused due to various addictions. What has your government done to reduce the number of people falling prey to these addictions? Why has the government failed to treat these addicts fairly and insulted them by throwing them into rehabilitation instead of aiding them or preventing them from this entirely? Why has the Government failed to recognise this as a bigger issue that needs some interest from their side? Why has the Government failed to completely resolve Illicit Drug abuse? Give it a thought.
  2. Waterel

Waterel Active Contributor

To be honest the only think governments are doing to "aid" addicted people is to increase the prices of tobacco and cigarettes. Eventually, prices will hit a level so high that nobody will want to buy them any more and people will get the incentive to quit.
    I don't think people need rehab for nicotine addiction. It's all a matter of being strong enough to quit on your own.
  3. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

The government can't force people to quit smoking it has to be the smoker that makes the final decision to quit. The solution they have come with as mentioned before is to increase taxes. Nicotine is one of those funny substances that does nothing for you yet you have to smoke.
  4. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I think this is very complex, because we are all free to do whatever we want (practically) as long as we are not breaking any laws, of course. The government can't do much in my opinion, even if they wanted to, the drug business makes so much money... you can't just end that. It will never cease to exist, sadly.
  5. But What it can do is discourage smoking. It can pass strict laws to control the availability of Cigarettes. It can levy more taxes on these companies and discourage people from joining these companies. The government can make an ad in which a smoker is portrayed in a stupid way so that the actual smokers will look stupid. It can literally ban smoking in more places. It can do better things for people who actually think of totally quitting s.moking
  6. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

As far as I can tell the only thing that governments do in regards to preventing addiction is creating ad campaigns and commercials with the message of how you shouldn't start smoking in the first place. I honestly don't think that the government wants tobacco consumption to cease. The tobacco companies reap billions of dollars a year in sales. From that, lets count the millions that the government receives in the taxes from the sales. Last let's count the millions that are reaped from the sales of nicotine gum, nicotine patches etc., plus the taxes involved that are received by the government . Do you really think that the government really wants to give up on all that money? The answer is NO.
  7. 6up

6up Community Champion

Most governments seem to be keen on tax collection. As long as alcohol is manufactured as per the required standards, then they don't want to know what will happen to those who consume it. There are usually less support centres where alcoholics can go and get help. Instead of rising the tax to discourage many from taking alcohol, they are trying to make alcohol to be sold tax free hence encouraging more people to drink.