An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The Government's to blame!

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Sudarsan, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Sudarsan

Sudarsan Active Contributor

Sometimes I think that a huge chunk of fault goes in the plate of the Government! Why did they legalize alcohol, tobacco, nicotine and even marijuana in some countries? Why did they make the society feel that it's okay to consume this stuff once a while? Why did they give the drug takers that excuse to offer every time a sober person would preach against drugs? What would happen if they ban all sorts of drugs? A few influential business people and underworld dons would find ways of staging demonstrations and influencing people to reverse the government decision. But that would never last forever. After a memorable revolution, we could be looking at a drug-free society! So, why does the Government turn a blind eye to this simple solution?
  2. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Contributor

I don't know what to say because I always want to be level headed when it comes to prohibition. Ours is a democratic country and we are proud to have our freedom. So even if I am against any form of vice, I cannot just flatly say that those vices should be prohibited.

But I slightly agree that if alcohol and cigarettes are to be banned then the incidence of drinking and smoking will be left to the underground market. On the contrary, drugs are banned but why does the drug trade still persists? So I don't think that we can have a drug-free society because drugs is a kind of entertainment and surely would always have a market.
    Sudarsan likes this.
  3. mwin43587

mwin43587 Active Contributor

Why do you blame the government? Do you think if alcohol is banned no one will ever drink? It is all up to the person.
  4. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I think that would be a really radical solution, plus the big companies would never allow this to happen... a lot money is involved. We are talking about billionaire business, no way that would ever happen. People just need to exercise their self-control, that is all. Plus most goverments in the world don't have that kind of power, you know?
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Well, the government should not the one to be blamed for this. No one is supposed to be blamed for this. Drugs aren't legal but people still do drugs.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Government can't be blamed. If they made the selling of all drugs illegal do you suppose that would stop those who know there's a market for drugs from making them? The only losers in the scenario would be the government because drugs would still be sold and they'd collect $0 in taxes.

A month or so back some government officials it is rumored, came out and openly declared that the war on drugs was "lost."

Now try to imagine waging a war on drugs on a larger scale. Would the outcome be any different?

The best way to fight against drug abuse [and win] is to teach kids not to use drugs. Parents, schools and the media should work together.
  7. 6up

6up Community Champion

Governments are looking for tax, you cannot blame them. It is us who change the constitution to suit our needs. It is us when legalise there drugs only to cry later because of our mistakes. We are to blame!
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While I understand where your coming from, I think it's easy to blame other people, and other factors when it comes to substances such as this.

People also need to be responsible for their own actions instead of looking at pointing the finger and looking for people to blame.
  9. Sudarsan

Sudarsan Active Contributor

I didn't get you when you said "While I Understand Where Your Coming From?" Doesn't that sound a bit rude? I come from the same world where you are standing right now. I am talking about a larger scenario. I am talking about some issues that can not be handled by us on a local level, such issues that should be handled by people with the authority.

I'll ask you one small question in a way that I hope you will understand. Suppose there are hundreds of apples in a big garden where you live with other people. You've been hand-picking them and storing them in storehouses for many days, but there's still too many apples. Your children are all exhausted. You're afraid they' ll get ill as they're working in the heat. Then, you look at the Garden Leader who's relaxing on top of his truck and eating apples. If he'd care to use that truck, all the apples would've been stored much earlier and your children would not have to go through all this and they'd be healthy as they used to be.

Would you try to talk some sense to the Garden Leader? Or would you stare at the blue sky and think that you're just pointing a finger and you're just looking or some one to blame?
  10. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

Prohibition definitely had a lasting effect on how society viewed alcohol and reduced alcoholism a lot, but at the same time it fueled an underground alcohol business that lead to many deaths and other serious complications like blindness or disability. I am not sure if prohibition is really the answer here. I do not approve of legalizing marihuana though. I don't see there being any such thing as responsible use since it is a hallucinogenic drug.
  11. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Yeah, it's absolutely not the government's fault because human beings have something called free will. People are going to take the substances, healthy or not, that they like and continue to consume them. Prohibition in the United States proved that governments can't control alcohol and other substances. There are economic factors at work here, too, that make it impossible to ban these kinds of legal substances, no matter how logical that might seem.
  12. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

Government can't be blamed fully, but they do have some role in the increased use of substance abuse. I do agree that they shouldn't fully ban the bad stuff, but they should at least impose a restriction on the usage. They should try to make stricter rules regarding this. Right now, getting drugs is as easy as getting a toffee from a general store.
  13. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

It is not the responsibility of the government and when a substance is banned the incidence of use usually increases!
  14. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I blame society myself and the government is only part of this. There are so many social problems which lead people to take drugs and we would do well to take steps to actively address these issues.
  15. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

It is quite evident that money is what turns this world. It is every economy's desire to be wealthy and to make sure that its citizens welfare is in good order. The government is the one with the greatest responsibility for the economy and so they have to ensure that cash is coming in, otherwise the economy will go into depression. It's quite unfortunate, but the government has to be involved in some anti Health activities in order to generate income for the economy. So though they might write on the cigarette box that cigarette kills or smoking kills, the government has to ensure that selling cigarettes is legal because that's the way that money is going to come into the economy.
    It is not justifiable but we can, by this on analogy, begin to see the thinking of the government.
  16. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

What you are talking about was part of a movement at the turn of the century called the temperance movement. It culminated in the failed experiment of alcohol prohibition.
    I get your logic, banning substances= a substance free society!
    Thing is that is an oversimplification of a very complex issue.
    First off how do you control drugs used for medical purposes? We all know drugs that are made legally and prescribed legally are used illegally. Would you ban Tylenol to reach your goals?
    Second that substance use and abuse is actually hard-wired into us, it's been with us since the dawn of time. It's part of our genetics. When you ban something, you just force it underground. By your reasoning cocaine should not be around since it's illegal. Truth of the matter making it illegal made it MORE popular.
    Banning things simply does not work. We need a community based modern approach to combat these problems.
  17. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

There is a lot of money to be made from the taxation of alcohol, nicotine, and Marijuana. That is the only reason why it is legal in most countries.
  18. Two important questions regarding whatever I just read; How old are you? and where were you raised? A drug-free society? Let me know if you or a loved one is in immense physical pain if you still want to look at a drug-free society. Drugs are not going away. And don't you ever place blame on others again for their own drug and alcohol addictions. No one is forcing these things down their or your throat.

"There are but two virtues; intelligence and energy. There are but two two vices; superstition and idleness"
  19. wecanbeatthis

wecanbeatthis Member

Many are pleading that the gov't must "use more regulation" and put further restrictions on our lives, when the answer lies in us. We are the difference. In most cases I would venture to guess that none of us here were held at gunpoint when we chose to experiment recreationally with drugs. Thanx to the widespread abuse of prescription opiates, there are literally tens of thousands who are now being forced to live with pain that could be easily treated, simply because doctors are now scared out of their wits to write a script for pain meds. Then there are those who have severe illnesses who use marijuana as an appetite stimulant, in addition to it's unique pain relieving qualities for very specific conditions. What is being proposed here would essentially strip these folks of their ability to achieve relief, as well as villainize their efforts to do so.
  20. sxarexrow

sxarexrow Member

Personal responsibility is far more important than regulation.

Some people can have a beer at a ballgame or a glass of wine with dinner and not have it spiral into a problem.

Countries with the most open drug laws tend to have lower substance abuse rates.

You can't legislate morality.
    deanokat likes this.