An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The Hang-over Effect of Alcohol

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Bezcampz, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Bezcampz

Bezcampz Member

Many would say that one will forget everything when under the influence of alcohol. It became an excuse for their wrong doings. I doubt and I don't believe either! As the saying goes: to see is to believe or rather to experience is to believe, I tried to get myself drunk - really drunk! This happened way back my college days together with my friends, just doing it for fun.

When I woke up the next morning, I couldn't even bring myself to get up. I felt very bad! Everything was turn upside down, as if the room is rolling over and over. I had indescribable head ache. The pain was unbearable. Worst to it was I vomited in my sheets of which I cleaned it myself later. My buddies called it hang over - the post effect of too much drinking alcohol. That was so worst that it was my first and last time to get really drunk.

Have you experienced the same ?
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Anybody who drinks a lot will experience a hangover and it is not a good feeling at all. When I was younger it didn't seem to affect me too much. I could drink and be fine that next day but as I got older I found it harder to recover from a night of drinking. Just the thought of having a hangover is enough to make me not want to over drink. It is just not worth it.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have not experienced being drunk and I do not want to just witnessing some who have been drunk. I have tasted beer, wine, hard drinks and other alcoholic drinks but just really to "taste" and not to drink as I do not really like the taste of any alcoholic drinks.
    Some of friends who got drunk also said that it is not true that you do not know what you are doing, you just seem to have more courage to do odd things or removed the shyness in you. :)
  4. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

You don't believe that alcohol stops people from remembering things? While forgetting last night is certainly no excuse to be a bad person, that's not to say that memory loss doesn't happen; it's one of alcohol's proven effects.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Hangovers are the worst. These days, I only drink a couple of bottles at a time so never get them but I remember my own college days only too well. When I look back, I wonder how on earth I managed to graduate at all, considering I was hungover aound twice a week.
  6. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

Well, hangovers do occur. I once binged on a cocktail of whiskey and beer and then had vodka. I vomited almost immediately. Binging is bad and it really takes a pounding on your body. The next day I woke up with a severe headache. I took an analgesic to get rid of the pain. Some drink in moderate quantities to get relief from hangovers. But alcohol, I thought, at that moment was no fun. I quit it later.
  7. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I’ve had a few hangovers in my life, and they were quite awful. Every time, I’d declare that I’d never drink again. That wasn’t so much the case; I just learned to drink more effectively so I wouldn’t get a hangover. That is, until I decided I needed to stop altogether.
  8. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Yes I have had some mean hangovers before. I noticed this only happens when you go to sleep drunk. They say alcohol dehydrates you, I don't know if this is the cause of this tho. Hangovers are the worst headaches you can get. Surprisingly hangovers don't stop people from getting drunk in the first place.
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Who hasn't done that? I use to wake up in a pool of my own vomit. So you are not alone, and trust me when I say, there are far worse things that have happened to people when they were drunk. I've had my share. Most of the time when I do something stupid I retreat to my room and don't show my face in public for awhile. Oh the shame.
  10. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I take the hangover effect upon drinking alcohol a sign that we should stop drinking. I always thought the body responded in a negative way, which it actually does, and for this specific reason we should quit in order to not hurt it anymore. 2-3 glasses of beer each 2 day would suffice a lot.
  11. Aescopri

Aescopri Active Contributor

It really depends on which type of alcohol you drank. Champagne and vodka (and maybe even cocktails) tend to have the strongest hangover effects, while wine and gin tend to have the weakest hangovers (if any at all).
    If you drank lots and lots and lots of beer, you might achieve the same affects as champagne and vodka.
    Another factor might be your alcohol tolerance. Some people get drunk in just a sip and others sober after many bottles. If you drank lots of alcohol, it's natural that you're going to be more drunk the next morning.
    Though, I'm really curious—did you remember anything you did the next morning?
  12. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, hangovers have always been one of the most popular downsides of drinking. I've had hanogovers that made me wonder how the hell I had the guts to drink again. And, yes, sometimes you forget lots of things when you get drunk. But I also know that when we do really embarrassing things when we're drunk, we always say we don't even if we do. It's just better that way.
  13. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

I rarely experience hangovers. I guess it all depends on how you take care of yourself while drinking. I drink a lot of water when drinking. I chase shots down with a few gulps of water. If ever I do experience a hangover, I drink a few bottles of beer. Though this trick usually ends in me getting myself in another drinking binge. Hangovers suck. They make you swear off drinking... for that day at least.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah it just depends upon what you drink and how much. Some times is worse than other times. I've seen people crawl to the bathroom. Myself I have had the bed still spinning in the middle of the night and the next morning, or throwing up. What causes this? Bad mix or something, I don't know. I do know it is better to stick to one at a time. Don't mix things too much. If you are drinking beer, just have beer. If you are having whiskey, stick with it. When you go from one to the other this is where it gets ugly.