An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The happy depressive

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by DK01, Feb 16, 2015.

1. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I did that when I felt depressed and I think most people do it. We all wear masks on occasion and pretend things are OK when they are not. We even convince ourselves sometimes.
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

When I am feeling down I like to be alone with my thoughts and feelings. The last thing I want to do is be around people. Sometimes that can't happen though because I have to work so if that's the case, I just put on my happy face and pretend every thing in my life is prefect. I am really quite good at masking my feelings if I am out in a situation where I have to.
  3. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Is that what was wrong with him? No I don't personally do this. I have seen it. I just thought he was a jerk. Lol Masking depression with fake happiness.
    The false economy of dating fake nice guys. It just makes me think that if a man or woman are so depressed that they hide it with a fake smile and laughter. How is that being genuine, right? It's not. I guess people become a product of their environment. Los Angeles is loaded with fake paople, pretending to be happy. Because that is what everybody does regardless. Wear it on your sleeve like a genuine New Yorker. How are you ever going to get what you really want in life if you are always faking how you feel? If you want something and it is making you sad because you don't have it yet. Say it, express it. Don't freaking pretend every things ok when you are down in the dumps. I mean you can happily ask for what you want.
    Like, hey I really enjoy your company. I love you. I would really like us to go to the next level. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. You mean a lot to me. Instead of this happy go lucky nonsense of nothing bothers me I am the coolest guy. I'm happier than you BS. When really they want you to live with them and get married. Don't act like a chick man, your a guy man up. I'm not talking to anyone in here. I'm venting about the guy that did this with me. I don't really know any women that have done this. If this is what it is like but in a female way, whatever. I generally prefer real genuine friends.
    Wear your heart on your sleeve that is being genuine. Life is not a stage, it's a live, real, in the moment kind of thing. There's no take two time. If you blow it when your up to the plate, it's back to the bleachers man. Your not even on the bench.
  4. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

It's only the natural thing to do. Otherwise, people get suspicious and begin to ask a lot of questions. I have no time for questions.
  5. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

The less time we spend around people, the less we would have to pretend. I also like seclusion and solitude. It gives me time to get my head together.
  6. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I have done that a couple of times... but I was feeling so out of my mind. I thought: ''well, I am feeling so sad right now, so sad that if it was all the opposite I'd be very happy, so why not do that! Act happy! Act as happy as everyone wants you to be!''. And I did... I ended bursting in tears. Not pretty at all. I wasn't being myself that day... I was a bit manic depressive, I was even suicidal... but I failed twice.

But in general I handle depression well, not when it comes to break ups... I can no longer handle it very well when it's about break ups.
  7. Lin

Lin Member

Yes of course, it goes without saying. If you don't pretend, everybody is gonna be asking questions.
  8. Meds

Meds Active Contributor

Happiness is the order of the day. When you are at your social gatherings and everybody else looks happy but you look sad, what will that say about you? Projecting happiness even though you might be dying inside is not necessarily a bad thing. If however you are at the point where you need help, otherwise you will self destruct, then you need to cut the mask.
  9. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I used to do this in the early stages of my depression, but over time I cared less and less about what people thought, so I stopped doing it. Even while not depressive, or happy, I still find it hard to smile and show other people how good I feel, so you can imagine how difficult it was for me to pretend that. I was lonely in my world and had no one to talk to, and my classmates didn't really care about me, so I just quietly endured the pain.
  10. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

Pretense may be good but hypocrisy is not. Even though I might look happy on the outside, if someone asks me if I'm ok, and they are really pressing me, I'm going to let them know that all isn't well. If they are confidential persons, I will definitely share with them.
  11. kmars

kmars Active Contributor

Darn right about that. I don't have to behave as though I'm happy, but at the same time no one has to know I'm sad. Pretending to be happy to take away people's focus from your sadness is not necessarily healthy. Being you is what is important and I've learn not to try hard not to pretend.
  12. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Before, I also tend to mask my true feelings with a smile or a laugh. But I find that this doesn't help at all as it is deception not only on other people but also to yourself. So now, I try to keep it real. Whatever I'm feeling, I show it. When I'm angry, I shout. Whenever I'm sad, I cry. Whenever I'm happy, I laugh. The important thing is to acknowledge these emotions. You will feel more depressed when you keep it all bottled up inside of you. It may seem like masking is the only solution, but it's more of a runaway. The solution is to face what you're feeling and deal with it.
  13. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

It will already show if your really depressed. If someone is not acting depressed and it's believable most likely they aren't depressed. If a person is feeling a certain way it will eventually come out. You can always deal with depression by keeping a positive train of thought. Don't suppress how you feel but channel it into positivity.
  14. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I think it's almost like a defense mechanism that the soul goes into when you're depressed. You can switch to happy and positive just like that. But it's still masking what you're really struggling with inside.