An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The happy hour.

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Joethefirst, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

There are a lot of places that have a happy hour and will not serve alcohol past this point. Normally people will rush to the bar and try and drink as much alcohol as they can in the least amount of time. Do you think that this practice increase the chance of people becoming alcoholics?
  2. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Interesting, happy hours where I live usually make discounts on beverages, including alcoholic ones. But what you said won't increase the change of people becoming alcoholics. There are many other bars available in most cases, so folks will not drink their brains out in a certain one. As long as they have another options, it won't make them binge drink nor stop drinking after a certain hour.
  3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I never heard of this (granted, I haven't visited a bar in a while) and I don't know how I feel about it. On one hand you can spend time without worrying about drunk people past a certain point, while on the other hand binge-drinking may occur, as you mentioned.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Whilst I don't think it directly causes alcoholism, deals like this can certainly lead to binge drinking. When I was at university, me and my friends would sometimes end up drinking far more than we intended to during happy hour. None of us turned to the bottle full time though.
  5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I do not think this will increase your chances of being and alcoholic because alcoholics will go get their drinks no matter how much they cost. Happy hour is just a way for people to get cheap drinks.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

No I don't think it does increase the risk of these people being alcoholics, encourage binge drinking it will though.

It's highly likely that someone who already drinks will end up being an addict. Even if they miss out on happy hour if they really want to drink they could head off to a liquor store and buy alcohol there.
  7. PLP Rob

PLP Rob Active Contributor

Nope. Not at all. Either you have the bug or you don't. Plenty of people have the ability to say no, to know when to say when, call it quits. The defining characteristics of alcoholics have nothing to do with happy hour, and everything to do with a general inability to stop drinking before it negatively effects family, friends, and career.
  8. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Here where I live, happy hour is generally where drinks are discounted pretty heavily and it's usually early in a night (say 5pm). Drinks are still served after that. I do worry a bit about the culture of that happy hour, because it seems like the mentality is "lets go and drink as many drinks as possible within the cheap timeframe" so to me it lends itself to binge drinking.
  9. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I think for a recovering addict it might cause problems. You are surrounded by people who seem to enjoy their drink. Then on top of it you add " happy hour", and now you have people buying drinks because it's cheaper. Now I could see if you specifically waited for happy hour with the intent of having cheaper drinks but how well is that going to go long term?
  10. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I have never given that much thought. When people want to drink alcohol, regardless of the time, place or occasion, they just do. It's different when you're so overwhelmed with the need to escape reality, because you'll take alcohol whenever, however and wherever. Besides, there are lots of places that sell cheap alcohol and prices are way cheaper than the ones offered at pubs with happy hours.
  11. kgord

kgord Community Champion

No, but I would think it might increase the chances of a DUI or DWI. It is never a good practice to down alcohol as fast as you can, especially if you need to drive home. I think bars should outlaw that practice.
  12. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Happy hours encourage binge drinking. There really isn't any reason not to notice that it does.
    I have been to bars where the crowd really takes a turn for the worst after these so called happy hours.
  13. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I really don't think alcoholism is cause by Happy Hour at the bars. People who are alcoholics will pay any price for booze. Buying it at the liquor store is cheaper then Happy Hour is. I agree with others. It may contribute to binge drinking though.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Happy hours on bars can make drinkers drink more since there are discount. They could buy more with the money they intended to spend on alcohol. Businesses like that do not mind if someone will become more addicted or not as it is more about income for them.
  15. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Thank you for your responses, so the happy hour doesn't increase alcoholism but increases the likelihood of binge drinking.
    Wow, 5pm is really early for happy hour, most places I have been to normally had their happy hour at 11pm.
  16. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Yeah I know - it's crazy to me to think they start that early. I think the reason for it is here, most office workers do the standard 8.30am-5pm shift, so it calls out to them when they finish their day of work.
  17. henry

henry Community Champion

I wouldn't say that type of thing can turn someone into an alcoholic. I'd say that type of thing only saves some money for an alcoholic to keep on drinking. It's like those all-you-can-eat restaurants. They won't turn you into a food junkie, but they sure can make you fat.
  18. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Happy hour promotions here in the UK usually mean that you can get drinks at a discounted price in between set times of the day.

While a lot of people might think that it causes alcoholism, I'm not sure if it does or not because people will usually find a way to have a drink anyway, no matter what the cost.
  19. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I think it definitely is. Plus they're usually offered for much lower prices during happy hour as well. So it increases alcoholism in my opinion. It makes me mad.
  20. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

In theory, every store that serves alcohol increases the chances of someone becoming an alcoholic, but truth is there is no link between them and alcoholism. In fact, in my opinion, they try to stop people from drinking too much. Of course some of the clients will rush and drink more, but the very same clients could go to a convenience store and buy whatever they want.

People choose to become alcoholics, sadly :(