An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The Heart Heals

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by gracer, Feb 8, 2016.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Since we are in the month of hearts and Valentine's Day is just around the corner, I might as well take this chance to focus on one of the most abused part of our body - the heart.

The heart may suffer from a lot of pain and heartaches from different events of life but it never fails to heal and keep on beating for us. No matter how many times it has been beaten by hatred and emotional burdens, it will always find its way to bring out what it's always been good at - love.

We heal and we keep on living because our heart will never lose its ability to love. It is a gift that we all must grab and take hold of.

I wish you all the healing that your hearts need for whatever you are going through right now. Addicted or not, we all have a heart that waits for us to listen to it and heed its call.
    Rosyrain, dyanmarie25 and kassie1234 like this.
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Thank you for posting this. I really needed to hear this today. My heart is hurting so badly right now but I know I am strong. I know that I can get through this. I will be a bit more damaged but I will move forward. I have had a lot of pain in my life and a lot of hurt but when the one person you love with all your heart. The one person you have given everything of yourself for turns on you and shatters your heart with their words, it is the greatest pain of all. In time my heart will heal and I will be okay.
    gracer and deanokat like this.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Loved your words, gracer. I feel like my heart is in a good place right now. It's certainly had its fair share of heartbreaks, loss and disappointments - but like you said, it still carries on and keeps beating for me.
    gracer likes this.
  4. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Very true. Thank you for posting this. I take care of my heart more than anything else, because ultimately we live and die because of it :)
    gracer likes this.
  5. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

Yes as long as we can forgive and love...we will forever have a strengthened heart. As long as we stay with worry and doubt in our heart the longer we shall understand these things are not good for us. Eating right and staying healthy is not the only thing we should do....we should take care of our mental health as well. This is just as important.
    gracer likes this.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I absolutely love this post. Thanks for sharing, gracer! :) That's so true. We might have faced a lot of problems and heartaches in the past, but we still have to believe in love.
    gracer likes this.
  7. gracer

Thank you so much for all the positive feed backs guys! :)

@L_B I'm really sorry to hear that you're in so much pain right now but I'm also glad that you have a very positive outlook in life. Your heart might be shattered right now but in time it will indeed heal and mend all the hurt you're going through right now. I've also been badly hurt by people that I have loved and cared for before but I can now say that those times have already passed and I've already moved on from them. I also wish the same for you someday soon.
  8. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Our hearts really do heal after a while and we have to let them heal naturally. A broken heart does not last forever and sometimes we just have to wait it out. We have the human ability to feel joy once again and love in our hearts if we open up and let those feelings in.
    gracer likes this.
  9. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Thank you Gracer for you kind words of support. They are so touching. I am glad you were able to move on from your past hurts and because of supportive people like you I know that I will too.
    gracer likes this.
  10. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

In medical terminology, your heart does not ache too much, when it aches, you will experience heart attrack, stroke cardiac arrest etc. Every thing is in mind, when your mind feels love, Love sprouts in heart, when your mind feels separation, your heat aches.
    gracer likes this.
  11. serenity

serenity Community Champion

True, no matter what trials we are facing, we can rest assured that time heals all wounds, wounds from heartbreak included. It may take months or years, but it will eventually heal.
    gracer likes this.
  12. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Forgiveness is something that we all need to learn how to do in order to heal our own hearts faster. It takes a very strong person to forgive. You can forgive yourself and the people who have hurt you in the past.
    gracer likes this.
  13. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Healing can come especially through love. It may take time but it can happen.
    gracer likes this.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That is right. Our heart is one of life's miracle as no matter how many times it feels pain and broken, it still beats to give life. It should really be well taken cared of and feel more love than negative feelings like hatred.
    gracer likes this.
  15. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Sadness flies away on the wings of time. ~Jean de La Fontaine

Time heals everything. Eventually. Drugs might offer a temporary escape but they don't heal. When you no longer are high you have to feel the pain. So why even bother using them when they aren't the cure you seek? Embrace the sands of time and your broken heart will heal.
    gracer likes this.
  16. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Thanks, this is a nice post. It's interesting to think about how emotions and the heart are connected. Although some people don't seem to have any feelings. Lol. I've read how this is a crystallization of the heart. It's smaller. This is a new age sort of theory. But in fact if one starves themselves it will get smaller and I am talking about calories. This will affect behavior and make you cranky. But in the other sense expanding the heart and it's ability; to actually imagine it growing, being more open actually. Because this crystallization causes it to be hard, your emotions to be hard and not open. Not open to love or other people. You can see this actively with people. Like the Pat Benatar song (Quarter Flash was the band) "Harden My Heart"..."I'm going to harden my heart. I'm going to swallow my tears.."
    It's like we do it consciously. But I think it's even better to consciously expand and open the heart.
    I'm thinking of someone who pointed out to me that I was this way. But really the funny thing about that was, that he was this way himself and that I am not this way with everyone. It's a two-way thing really. Two people need to both open to the experience of loving each other. The hearts of two need to be open. Not one one closed and the other open. Otherwise they don't connect. Cause when I think about a few other instances because they were open or loving I was able to love them. It's called you just do it. You just love and if they are open to it. It happens. If they are hard, closed and crystalized. There is only so much you can do, only so much love to give, right. In fact those that are this way. They totally trip themselves and the relationship up by keeping themselves closed and not receiving or allowing. What a revelation.
    gracer likes this.
  17. gracer

@Adrianna You pointed out a lot of interesting points there. I suddenly remembered those times when I used to try hard to fake a strong me by closing and hardening my heart to all sorts of emotions. My heart used to be broken not only in relationships but also on a deeper side of me. So my defense mechanism was to show people that I was someone who couldn't be easily broken but deep inside I was really shattered with so much pain. I'm just glad that now everything has finally come into place and my broken self has finally become whole again.