An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The higher power discussion

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by zplohr, Jul 20, 2015.

1. zplohr

zplohr Member

Let's all be respectful with this post, I struggled with AA and the Sober community because I didn't have faith. I felt that it was being pushed on me and in turn I thought that Religion was what recovery was all about. When I decided to make a change to a sober life I still found religion being a major point, I am not saying that religious persons should not share their stories, and I am not saying they should hide their religion (especially if that is the main factor that helped them). Other that God, how did you define your Higher power, and what did you find in YOURSELF that helped drive you.

Again this is to help people that might feel pushed away, I am not trying to start a religious debate and I am definitely not trying to talk down religion.
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I am really not a crazy wacky religious person, but I believe in God and I have a personal relationship with him. I would say I am highly spiritual but not strictly religious. I mean, I am not following all the norms and traditions of the Catholic church because I believe that religion won't save you, but I know God will.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The Higher Power need not be an accepted version of what religious people consider to be Divine.

I've heard that some irreligious people prefer to focus on something . . . a force of nature much powerful than they are which obviously is no different from nature worship.

Others who don't do that say they use reality as their higher power. They face the facts — actions have consequences [and that sort of thing] which forces them to avoid actions [like taking drugs] which will have a negative impact on you.

Different things work for different people I suppose.
  4. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

A lot of people feel allergic to the word "religion" and what it entails. Many have been force fed "religion" from an early age on, and react strongly as soon as the word is even mentioned. Ironically, those people are usually deeply spiritual and are fully committed to whatever they have chosen to believe in, which they would vehemently refuse to call "God" or "Higher Power".
    I always think: why placate your religion or faith in public? Why are there certain groups out there trying to convince others that their "religion", faith, spiritual orientation, whatever you like to call it, is the only "right" one, and that you should convert to their way of thinking and their systems, in order to achieve a "fulfilling" life... - whatever that means.
  5. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

This may sound a little out there but after over ten years of extensively studying the human mind, consciousness and all things related, I have recently managed to attain a higher state of consciousness and it makes me feel higher than any drug ever has done. I am in touch with my higher conscious! There is definitely a higher power, which some may refer to as God. I have tapped into this power and have created unbelievable physical changes in the world which not only affect myself but others also simply by using nothing more than the power of consciousness. This basically started off as parapsychology experiments which went on to successfully manifest in the real world. The possibility of chance or coincidence were largely eliminated during these experiments. Some will believe that this is probably delusion on my part. It's not! I have physical evidence! The truth about the true nature of consciousness is being revealed through quantum mechanics and the Noetic sciences as times goes on.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I'm also not a religious person but managed to get over an addiction just by having faith in myself.

I think as long as you have that, and a lot of willpower then overcoming an addiction is a lot easier.
    deanokat likes this.
  7. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I'm not religious, but I'm very spiritual. I believe in something greater than us, for sure. I'm just not sure what that something is. Could it be God? Maybe. Could it be something totally different? Sure.

I can see why some people get turned off by AA. It does come across as being religious, IMO. And although they'll tell you that your higher power doesn't necessarily have to be God, they do still close a lot of meetings with the Lord's Prayer (at least I think they do). So that's kind of a mixed message.
  8. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

9. pstrong1969

I believe in Higher states of consciousness. This is taught in Metaphysics. The author Emmett Fox teaches this in his books. I set back and have thought deeply about if there were not a Greater force in our Universe where would we be. There would be total chaos. Human beings are not capable of keeping our universe in a state of Balance. I think there are several dimensions in this life. We all can be on different planes. Emmett Fox believes if your faced with a problem or illness all you need to do is raise your state of consciousness and your problems will be solved. I believe this too. Although I've never experienced it. Religions have failed man for centuries.
    Sparkster likes this.
  10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I'm not really a religious person. I do believe in a God, but the one I believe in is much different from the one that the Church is trying to portray. That being said, I don't really bash someone's beliefs just because I think they're wrong. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and as long as they feel powerful then I feel like being religious has worked out for them.
    In fact, this is all that's about it. Right? As long as you feel like you're much stronger person if you pray and believe in something then you accomplished a really big thing. People should see religion as a way to gain strength.
    Sparkster likes this.
  11. pstrong1969

I believe in religious freedom. As long as another persons religious beliefs dont want to kill me. I wont mention which religion that is. Most if not all religions are based solely on mans ideas. I believe in a God of my own understanding.
  12. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

I am an agnostic by choice. With that out of the way, I feel that there is just me. There is just this instant. Nothing more. No point in wondering about what we haven't seen/will never see. I am me and this is my life. Period.
  13. pstrong1969

Everyone has a choice to believe in whatever he/she wants to believe. I can respect that But i also believe that it may be a narrow-closed minded view of the universe. Man did not create the cosmos and he sure does not balance the forces of nature.
  14. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Well, I'm a person who firmly believes in God but I don't necessarily believe in any particular religion. I hear mass in a Catholic Church but I also go to an Anglican Church at times. I think it's not a matter of which religion you belong to, rather it's more on how much faith you have.

In my case, my faith in Him has helped me a lot in quitting my vices and keeping sober up until now. I pray and seek for strength when I feel so weak and somehow I feel comforted.

We all have our different beliefs and I guess what's important is our dedication to what we believe on. :)
  15. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

Said like a true philosopher. I feel you! Faith is god. God is faith.
    gracer likes this.
  16. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Not religious at all here, but I do believe in a higher power. I believe he saved me, he made me have a moment of epiphany some years ago when I was already at the bottom... I was helped, really, because if it wasn't for that one moment I think I'd not be here writing this. I'm pretty sure I'd be dead, but back then I didn't care at all if I died, I only had one thing in my mind... I do believe there was some sort of intervention. I like to feel it this way, because I was indeed spiraling down so fast, but now look at me!
  17. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

Aside from God I have found no higher power. Some folks tend to Express more faith in themselves than in God. Some folks tend to express more faith in others than in God also. But I can't attribute it to no one but God.
  18. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah they do put in some religious points with 12 step and all of this. I don't personally think they should push it. If someone is open to it and believes, by all means indulge. Whatever gets you to where you need to be. There is a theory that I think applies here to what you are saying. Whether you believe in God or not doesn't matter with this one. Most who don't might like this one. It's like this; God or the creator is everywhere. All around and in everything, part of the whole universe. You are the creator, the creator of your universe. You are God-like within your own world and we are all as one. Right, this is what is being said here and there. So you are the one who decides, commands, and creates your world. Who you are, who you will be, and what you are. Change reality, create reality, be who you are really meant to be. You are your own Higher Power.
    Its like if you put in your mind that you are a worthless drug addict and this is it. Dislike yourself, loath your own behavior. You dwell on this endlessly. What is that? It is your own creation. Doesn't matter what anyone says or thinks. The only person that matters is what you think, because you are creating with those thoughts. So better to make it what you want and not what you don't want. Well everybody should know what that is.
  19. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I have never been on an AA meeting before but I've heard that faith is a big deal there, and it kind of makes sense, a lot of people find their motivation and security in religion and some others don't, and that's completely respectable. But I do think that they should make a more open program that is inclusive to non believers.
    You have a good point!
  20. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I'm not particularly religious myself but I have plenty of friends who are. Sometimes I feel like they have an inner strength/resolve that I just don't have because I'm not at the same level as they are with their beliefs. But in saying that I think I get my own strength from other sources. From my relationships with others, from nature, from all manner of things. It might sound cheesy but I think your strength can be derived from a whole host of places and not just from religious beliefs.