An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The Horrifying Truth

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Sparkster, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Recently, I forced myself to face up to a horrifying reality. I sat down with a family member and worked out how much money I had spent on tobacco/cigarettes in total during my lifetime. It turns out that, had I not become a smoker and saved that money instead without ever touching it, I would have now been in possession of over £40,000! Yep, that's how much money I wasted on smoking... and that's without lighters/matches/gas! That was a realization which literally made me feel sick to my stomach.
  2. Kyler

Kyler Active Contributor

We know your pain. I know many people who also smoke and drink and have said the same thing, yet they still smoke and drink!
    It is amazing sometimes how conciousness does not seem to care about extreme consequences. Some people care, some people just don't care yet they are bothered by it. I think that there are compelling reasons why one should quit, because in any way possible that you could think of, it would lead to a more fruitful and a happy life.
    Sparkster likes this.
  3. remnant

remnant Community Champion

The financial, health and social cost of drugs is only reckoned with in retrospect with the health cost in your case being the greatest indice. The fact is, our wants are more expensive than our needs. One of the things I have come to realize is that drugs are far more expensive than food which is a basic need. Some have blown away fortunes with nothing to show but mortality and morbidity. And counting.
    Sparkster likes this.
  4. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

The problems is that cigarettes even though they have become very expensive recently don't really make you aware of how much money they cost you. I too have done calculated how much I have used till now and you are right, it can really be frightening.
  5. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

My fiance is having the hardest time quitting smoking, I am sure he has spent a lot money on this horrible vice. It's terrible how much money a person can spend on something that can potentially kill them.
  6. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

@Sparkster you got me raising my eyebrows at how much money has been wasted on smoking. Well, it's not too late to get a new habit of saving every penny and watching it grow. I'm so glad the realization struck you sooner than later when your addiction may have left you completely penniless.

I wish you a happy life free of addiction and regrets, rather one of focus and development for yourself and those around you.
  7. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Indeed. This is without all the money that I've spent on other vices over the years (marijuana, speed, cocaine, etc). This is also just money. I dread to think how much it's cost me my health! I am, however, at a very profound point in my life whereby the last few years I have seen incredibly peculiar things happening, have unlocked the true power of the mind and am able to reach a higher state of consciousness. Do I think drugs played a part in that? No, I don't!