An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The lips give them away

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Winterybella, May 11, 2015.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I don't know much about marijuana but one thing I will say is that the dark lips almost always give them away. I am presently in the middle of a conversation where three are trying to explain to me why their lips are so dark. Most around me are dark skin so it's dark lips actually look "black". Can any of you relate to this and can the lips ever return to their usual colour?
    pineywood likes this.
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Do you mean that their lips have gome completely dark all over? I knew a smoker who had a permanent nicotine stain on his lip but that was just on the bottom lip, in the centre and was caused by tobacco rather than marijuana. I have never encountered this phenomena you describe at all.
  3. Winterybella

I kid you not. It's one of the tell tale signs with more than 90% of the heavy weed smokers that I know or those who come around my workplace. We spoke at length about it this afternoon. I just asked my son what was the conclusion of the matter as two in the conversation were heavy smokers. One has really black lips but the other one uses less so his lips appear fine so far.

My son said it's something called "roaches" ( not sure if I spelled that correctly or if it's a local term). A situation where they smoke the weed down to the end of the joint or something like that and it burns the lip. I just looked it up and it's not unique to where I live. Sometimes depending on how comfortable I am with some persons, I'll come right out and tell them I can see that they are lighting up. The lips tell the tale.
  4. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Most drugs can give the user away especially in the eyes. Weed is red and glossy eyes and for many other drugs its the pupils so overly dialated that it looks frightening.
  5. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

It can be, interesting when a person has the look and also the face can change as well and also weed can make a person which affects the person in the body as well. Sometimes the people can, have the looks which another person can see and know they are taking drugs or weed and also it ruins the person as well. I think the lips changing the colour can also have a affect as the person will have a differnt taste when eating or drinking something and also not a good look to have.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I have to admit, I know a lot of weed smokers, I used to be one myself aswell, and I can't say i've ever had dark lips or know anybody that has.

Then again, I don't really stare at peoples lips so...
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Ah, so it probably is staining from the joint then. I was reading this thinking that the weed was causing some sort of physical reaction or something. But smoking does stain the skin and the best way to deal with this problem is probably to buff the lips with an old toothbrush once or twice a day and use plenty of lip balm.
    TripleD123 likes this.
  8. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

Oh interesting, darker lips. Usually, when people smoke down to the tip of a joint (roaches), you will see the tell tale signs of little burn marks on their lips or the yellowish reside on their finger tips. Never thought about darker lips. I pretty thought, I knew everything there was to know about weed, but today, I learned something new.
  9. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

I can see the burns from the roaches but have never noticed the entire lips being dark. I would think that maybe they have scarring from being burned so many times? Got to get all the goods, right? To the last drop.
  10. thomas carty

thomas carty Member

I think that the color of their lips can give them away if you knew what color the person lips was before. Sometimes there are people that have naturally dark lips so I do not think that you can just go based on that. Most of my friends though that I know that have gotten addicted to it now have really dark lips so in a sense it still does give them away. I only say this because I knew how my friends lips looked before.
  11. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

The darkened lips can happen from people constantly smoking normal cigarettes too. But for some reason, weed makes your lips black so much quicker. The part that sucks is when a person has to go out in public things like job interviews and the employer knows just by looking at you.
  12. Winterybella

Well I see it nearly everyday. I could line them up and their lips will say it all and it's both lips. Like someone suggested earlier, some people generally have dark lips and it would be presumptuous to conclude that everyone I encounter with dark lips is a heavy weed smoker.

Getting all the goods is making their lips look bad...good lips gone bad.
  13. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

I had suspected that that would be one of the signs. Or incoherent in their speech? Dreamy look in their eyes? Or it could be anybody looking normal even under the cover of prescription drugs/sleeping pills/cocaine/heroin?
  14. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

When I was on that stuff I used to get brown/black plant resin stains on my lips. So I think you are on to something here with that observation good sir. Not only did it look awful but it didn't smell nice.
    Not a great time in my life, but that is what life is one big learning opportunity!
  15. Winterybella

JonnyMacdonald, it sounds as though you've been there done that and now have come to a better place with some nice lips:). A girl or guy should always have the benefit of kissing nice lips. Seriously though it so very common around here. I have two handsome nephews but those lips these days.........:(
  16. henry

henry Community Champion

Yep, I have them. It's mostly from nicotine, though. If you smoke anything long enough, chances are your lips will turn dark. Why? Because it's the heat as much as the substance that causes it.
  17. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I have never really paid any particular attention to the lips of smokers of weed or cigarettes. For me it's always about the eyes and the general "aura" of a person who consumes a lot of weed. They tend to move slower and have some kind of "extra dimension" about them. There is some dreamy quality that surrounds them. As for cigarette smokers, I can pick them from miles away (well almost) by their smell.
  18. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I think this is usually caused by the nicotine they smoke it with, rather than the marijuana itself. I, myself, have noticed that many smokers seems to have dark blue patches on the sides of their lips. People who smoke rolling tobacco without filters often suffer with this aswell. However, dark patches on the lips and front teeth are also common signs of smoking heroin.
  19. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

I don't think that directly speaks to having an issue with marijuana specifically. Especially seeing as you can use marijuana in ways that have nothing to do with smoking. It could speak to the smoking of anything. I have noticed that those who smoke blunts tend to have a lot of the same (or worse) issues regular tobacco smokers face. Everything from horrible breathing to breath to teeth issues.
  20. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Yes good point.
    But as it stands now smoking is still the #1 pot consumption method.