An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The lips give them away

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Winterybella, May 11, 2015.

1. Eileen100

Eileen100 Member

I used to be addicted to marijuana, so yes I can say from experience that it does change the color of your lips a darker color. This can be permanent depending on how long you have been smoking but it has to be a long time for it to remain permanent. However long the person smokes is how long their lips will remain dark. If the person quits smoking it can take anywhere from six months to year for the natural color to come back. I know some people who have been smoking for years and who have also quit and their lip color has returned to its natural state. If the people you were speaking of lips were completely black chances are all they do all day long is smoke marijuana.
  2. Tryner

Tryner Member

I've never heard of this before. I know a few smokers, but I'm not sure how they smoke; is it common with joint smokers to smoke until their lips burn? That seems like an unhealthy habit. From what I've heard, they usually put it in a pipe when it's too short.
  3. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I've noticed the same thing with tobacco smokers, alcoholics and drug addicts in general, not just marijuana smokers. Their lips are darker than usual, as if devoid of proper blood flow. The skin also turns the color of ash. It's a signal that there isn't enough oxygen in their bloodstream.
  4. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

Yeah, but black lips are not exclusively a marijuana thing, it happens to some regular cigarette smokers as well. It doesn't happen very often though.
  5. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I have lots of friends who smoke pot and none of them have dark lips. Sme of them do smoke cigarettes, however, and they do tend to have a bit of darkness because of it, but not really too severe that it would be the first ing I notice about them. I don't know if smoking pot actually does do this for some people but so far I personally haven't witnessed any evidence of it.
  6. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Since I brought this subject here I feel like I have been paying this even more attention. I honestly never took note of it being associated with tobacco smokers. I really thought it was just a weed thing based on those I often see.

I just wonder if it ever goes away but it's not looking like I will find out based on the people I know. They have no intentions of stopping anytime soon.
  7. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I saw black lips among weed smokers in the New York City Ghetto, but I thought this was produced by their precarious living conditions, conditioning in some way the dark marks on lips.

However I saw black lips again in people doing marijuana and drinking alcohol here, in this city.

Strange really.
  8. karebear07

karebear07 Active Contributor

I have not seen anyone that is smoking weed that has black/dark lips. Very interesting I would if it has anything to do with lack of blood supply or oxygen! I am definitely going to be paying more attention to their lips now!