An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The Long Road Home

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by melody, Mar 28, 2016.

1. melody

melody Active Contributor

I keep putting one foot in front of the other, because that is what I do. Since recovery life has been such a blur, but for awhile things were wonderful. After awhile the hope sort of starts to run out. The realization of how damaged my life is, and how damaged I am makes me start feeling depressed. That only makes it more difficult to resist temptation. Just to keep my life on track takes a lot of work, with not a moments rest. Some say that is my penance for my past. Feeling awful.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@melody... I'm sorry you're feeling awful. But I firmly believe that if you keep taking steps in the right direction, things will get easier and better. Try to think positive, my friend. Have you tried talking to a counselor? That really helped my son when he was feeling like you're feeling.

Please know that I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. And sending you positive vibes and big hugs.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I always refer to my own recovery as a marathon and not a sprint. So when I fell on hard times or felt like I wasn't getting anywhere, I tried to remind myself of that. I'm 8 years sober now, and I still have to work at it - I still educate myself on addiction, I still ensure I'm making good decisions, it's just a constant process. It's hard, but the best things in life are not without some level of struggle and hard times to get to the good.

I think what @deanokat mentioned about counseling is good - I know that for me, personally, I've found it useful when I've been really struggling with things to just be able to vent to a neutral third party. Sometimes I would feel guilty if I was venting to family or friends, but a counselor was a neutral party so that was helpful to me.
    deanokat likes this.