An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The Man in the Mirror

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Victor Leigh, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Victor Leigh

Victor Leigh Member

Yes, I am talking about THAT Man in the Mirror, the one you meet every time you look in the mirror. Right, I am talking about you and yourself. Not just you and yourself, in general, though. I am talking about how you look.

Now, look in the mirror. What do you see? Is it someone you would trust with your life? Is it someone you would take along as a companion on a long journey?

Think about that. Think about how you should look like, to become someone who looks like a person you would trust with your life, someone who you would like to take along as a companion on a long journey.

Some people say what's inside is reflected in how you look, what you think shows on your face. The reverse is also true. How you look affects how you feel. When you look good, you feel good. When you look good, you think about good things.

So, go and have a look at the Man in the Mirror.
  2. bluzkluz09

bluzkluz09 Active Contributor

I agree with this point of view. If we don't like how we see ourselves we need to make adjustments. If we look in the mirror and who we see looking back at us is not someone we would even want to be friends with we need to make a change. Sometimes though we simply avoid the mirror until we gather the courage because we know we won't like who we see. The fairytale SnowWhite came to mind when I read this although it's completely unrelated. The witch wanted to destroy Snow because the mirror said Snow was the fairest. Then the witch disguised herself and tricked Snow into taking the bite of apple. Looks can be deceiving but becoming a person we can look at in the mirror takes work both on our inside and outside.
  3. 003

003 Community Champion

When I look in the mirror, I feel that it's time to reflect on myself. I don't focus really on my ideal self, but rather when I look in the mirror I evaluate myself and ask it what I have already become. Have I been someone I and my parents should be proud of? And then if yes, I'd just feel like to do more and be better. But if no, then I get sad, but I stay positive and just keep saying to myself that there's more opportunities to get myself be better man than I have been or than I am now. The important thing is that I'd be honest when I'm at the front of the mirror seeing myself and that I avoid delusions as much as possible.
  4. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

Yes I did look at the man in the mirror. I must admit that I like what I see. I try to be a good person to everyone I come across. If I find someone who is so negative about life, I try to pinpoint the good things in their life that they should be thankful about. That said I don’t like the fact that my eyes look strained because I have not been wearing anti-glare glasses while working on the computer all day.
  5. Janie

Janie Active Contributor

I once heard that when you are young you have the face you were born with, when you get older you have the face that you earned.

I believe that, considering you see some people that are old and ragged, and you know they've had a tough life. Then others faces are filled with joy and light, wrinkles from smiles.

I know that's not completely what your post is about, but I think too when you look in the mirror you can see where you've been, and if you need to change where you're going.
  6. angel_lou

angel_lou Active Contributor

It's funny ive just seen this post, as earlier on I was singing that song and looking at myself in the mirror, hoping to 'make that change!' Ive completely let myself down after being determined to stick to my program from the new year, well, that hasn't happened. Why is it so damn hard??
  7. joshua minaya

joshua minaya Active Contributor

It is important that we as humans try to be honest with ourselves and also try to create avenues to reflect on our lives because let the truth be told often times we as humans don't seem to be honest with our selves and that is why we usually fail to avoid problems in our lives before they go out of hand.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

You made me want to listen to this song again. Man in the mirror.

9. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

That is true. However, sometimes maintaining a facade helps with not bumming other people out. Feeling depressed on the inside doesn't mean we have to manifest it on the outside, too. We would be spreading negative energy which, contagious as it is, will affect anyone in the vicinity and would in turn cause your depression to grow ever larger. There's no need for that. Sometimes we shouldn't give in to our emotions. There's a right place and time for everything. We've just got to find that balance.
  10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Whenever I look in the mirror, I see a very fragile young woman. She appears to be a little weak, but inside her, I know she has been through a lot of things, and that makes her a strong person. I see a woman who has fears and apprehensions, with trust issues. But I also see a woman who would open up beautifully to someone once she is able to get to know that person better.
  11. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

When I look in the mirror I see someone that looks innocent, peaceful and happy. I've managed to portray myself as a really happy person in the real world. The truth is that there are a lot of things going on in my life that I don't feel like showing to every person I meet.
    The man in the mirror doesn't really express what my feelings are.
  12. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think your post is aimed at self-improvement and self-confidence at the same time. I don't like the way my life has turned out so far, but I'm working on improving it.
  13. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I see a woman who tries so hard to be everything she possibly can, that she hasn’t quite sussed out what’s really important to her. She pushes herself to make up for so much lost time, and sometimes she holds herself to impossible standards. And all the prettiness in the mirror is a reflection of that. Logically she knows she’s pretty great, but there’s still this underlying need to be better, to impress others, and she’s trying to learn to let that go.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

This reminds me of the song too and I really like the lyrics of it. :)
    Agree that looking into ourselves could help us understand us more and realize things. Evaluating what we have done and should be done can help motivate us to do better.