An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The Marijuana in the United States Is estimated to be worth Billions of dollars

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by explorerx7, Mar 15, 2016.

1. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

A report on the Cannabis business in the United States revealed that it is a billion dollar business. The estimated value of the business in 2013 was around 6 billion dollars. In this year, 2016 it is expected to between 14 to 17 billion dollars and by the year 2020 it is estimated to reach the 44 billion mark.
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That also means that there are increasing number or marijuana users, right?
    No doubt that there was and going to be a huge money from that business, that is why it was being legalized in some areas.
  3. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

When I saw the tittle I thought to myself, only a billion, 14 to 17 billion sounds right. Marijuana has been used more and more in recent years as an alternative to traditional medicine so the tendency is for this value to grow.
  4. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

This isn't surprising. I've joked many times that if there was a nationwide legalization movement we would likely see thousands of new millionaires seemingly overnight.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Considering the fact that most of the marijuana sold by unregistered dealers I suppose the value of the business is a lot higher than the statistics indicate. Legal marijuana in Colorado brought in about $1 Billion. Now add all the cash obtained from marijuana sold by drug dealers in all other states where it hasn't be legalized and it's a lot more than $6 billion.

That said, I believe that the selling of marijuana infused products is going to get more people addicted to marijuana.
  6. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I don't think anyone really knows how much the marijuana business is worth in the UK, as many users and many dealers are now growing it in their own homes all around the country. There could be twice as much or more than they estimate to be on the streets. There is no way of knowing.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Wow, I never thought that the marijuana business was that big! I am surprised! Marijuana never did a thing to me, but I have seen what it can do to others though. I understand why some people really dig it, but wow, for a drug that is illegal in most states that is a big number.
  8. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

On the other hand, though, I sort of want dealers to remain under the radar, just so the government keeps their hands off that money, lol. Maybe it's the rebel in me, I dunno.
  9. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Wow I wish I bought some stocks for that company. You would be loaded right now and in the coming years haha!
  10. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

That does not mean there are increasing numbers of marijuana users though.
    It could or it could not.

I read it as the profits are increasing because more states are allowing it to be legal.
    But hey, I am very happy with taking tens of billions of dollars away from organized crime.
  11. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

A good move to legalize marijuana and quite an American move actually. When I say American I mean hypocritical. I do not see any monkeys dying of it now. Those experiments are not valid any more I believe. I understand the thread is not about politics of America but I had to say at least something. Anyway, I hope my country will follow this trend and we wouldn't have to be criminals for having some weed on our terrace. It is quite funny I think if you consider the fact that alcohol is not illegal nor are the cigarettes. What harm can some weed do? None really but on the other hand alcohol is very harmful because it is highly addictive. It is also, obviously a good business, marijuana that is, so if we have it legalized I will have my own store.