An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The news is in, war on drugs harmed public health.

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by JonnyMacdonald, Mar 26, 2016.

1. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/drug-war-public-health-1.3504843

I know many members of this board are actually enlightened as to how the war on drugs has been a complete failure.
    Well here is one more report to back this up!

I think the tide is finally start to turn in favour of determined ways to deal with this social issue that actually work.
  2. dblanch

dblanch Member

Sure, they totally messed up, but I like to think the idea behind the action sort of lightens the damage they've done. Hopefully they'll realize their mistakes and take more effective measures that don't do even more harm to people.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I think they should consider decriminalizing all drugs. Some people never try to seek help even though they may want to because they may be afraid that it could the attention of law enforcers. If all drugs were decriminalized these people wouldn't be afraid to seek help. Initially though should all drugs be decriminalized there might be a spike in addictions but that would probably taper off after a while.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  4. melody

melody Active Contributor

There are other countries who do a far better job than America when it comes to treating drug addicts. The word there is treatment. In America it is so criminalized that a heavy weight is placed upon an addicts shoulders. I am not saying this excuses an addict of their actions, but I am starting to realize the importance of it. I am also starting to feel ashamed about how many Americans, and how American policy has lost all compassion.
  5. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I understand that there will be people who try to help and try to make things better for other people, but at the end of the day, we are stubborn creatures who stay true to our own opinions and beliefs. Things like promotional programs, motivational talkers and rehabilitation centers have definitely helped along the way, but some people will only change as a result of their own willpower.

All we can do is educate kids and help them avoid the drug problems, help make the next generation one that does not have to delve into drugs to make themselves feel better. I honestly think technology has helped a lot along the way and it helps that kids love technology.
  6. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

The war on drugs has always been a failure. The problem is they never deal with the root of the problem. Mass incarceration and targeting lower income urban areas isn't the solution at all. The question is how are drugs getting into the country in the first place.The war on drugs always seemed like a war on the people instead of the problem.
  7. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I my home county war on drugs is a losing war. In the recent times, my home country is becoming a transit to drug trafficking. There i no capital punishment in the country and the maximum punishment anyone can get is life imprisonment which is 20 years. The drug dealing is common because there are loopholes
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I hope that there could be more programs and ways they could think of and do to make it a successful battle. It is a serious issue that there were increasing number of addictions in a society and there could be more problems that will come as well because of that.