An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The past is a place of reference - not a place of residence

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by kassie1234, Apr 12, 2016.

1. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I like the statement; if only everyone could use the past as reference but many of us would rather dwell on the past and it makes us remain in one position without progressing because we have decided not to forgive our past.
  2. WannaBfree

WannaBfree Active Contributor

I go back and feel that isolation and terror 4 1/2 years ago when I was using bath salts and couldn't stop. Television said "synthetic cocaine", legal, cheap, and on sale in head shops. I got some, and was instantly addicted. It was the devil's drug, and the thought of using ANY drugs scares me to death. I had to go through that to get me where I am today, and I wouldn't change a thing. It went on for a very long year, and I almost lost everything. I made it back from the depths of hell with rehab. If that didn't happen to me, I could be "managing" something like that and ruined the rest of my life. Therefore, I'm glad for the speedy "crash and burn"! I reflect on that horrible year to remind me that I never want to be in that place again. I am lucky to be alive.
  3. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

The fact that we are afraid of drugs is something positive because we want to see them at a distance. This means that we want the problems away, so it's a lesson learned.
    WannaBfree likes this.
  4. WannaBfree

So true......
  5. oportosanto

Yeah, so what is your case here @WannaBfree, are you a recovering addict or are you here just because of someone?
  6. WannaBfree

I'm here for support because I am tackling alcoholism. Two weeks sober today.
    oportosanto likes this.
  7. oportosanto

Congrats wannabfree, I hope you keep on going. What's your biggest motivation to be sober?
  8. WannaBfree

My children. I have a 12 year old daughter, and a 9 year old son with whom I have a great relationship. They learned to accept that, around 3-4pm everyday, Mom changed. I was never mean, but alcohol changes a person into someone else. I isolated with the headphones on really often. I would never go anywhere with them in the evenings because I wouldn't drink and drive. So many times, I would pass out and not remember the last couple hours of the night. They deserve better. I deserve better. The next day, I would feel like crap, emotionally and physically, and I would do it again to feel better when that time arrived. My father died from alcoholism. My mother will too unless she gets help (which is about as probable as me going to the moon! LOL) My husband and children deserve a mother and wife that can relied upon on a daily basis. I lived in denial for a long time....that I still accomplished my goals for the day, so that meant drinking was okay. I didn't get nasty, didn't drink and drive, cooked dinner everyday, house and kids were clean, and bills were paid. I was not emotionally there for my family for quite a few years, and I feel terrible about it, but there is the future. I can change the future and be the best sober wife and mother that I can from now on. Thanks for asking, @oportosanto :) Why are you on this site, if you don't mind me asking?
    oportosanto likes this.
  9. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@WannaBfree... A big congratulations to you on your 2 weeks of sobriety! That's AMAZING!!! Just keep going!
  10. oportosanto

That's the best motivation if you ask me! Everyone deserved better, glad you changed. What have your kids said about the change?

I was an addict in my teens and it's something I will never forget. So I am here trying to give a friendly word to those who need it, many times a small push or direction can make all the difference. :)
  11. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I rally like that quote and it is so true. Not even related to drugs but the other day I was sitting there dwelling on some stuff regarding a couple of my friends that I have had since being a teen and I got to thinking to myself that I focus so much on the relationships with these friends that I forget to get out and make some new friends. This is something I need to change about myself.
  12. oportosanto

We all need to change something, we all need to improve, but there is also a lot of good in us and that's something we need to focus on as well.
  13. Donnchadh

Donnchadh Active Contributor