An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The Patch

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by kevinkimers, Nov 18, 2014.

1. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

I was prescribed the patch a while back and I noticed something, whenever I was at work with it I did not crave a cigarette. However, when I got home... I wanted one badly. I was living in stressful environment at the time (drug users and dealers in the building in constant fights, gang members, severe problems with my landlord) plus everyone in the building practically smoked. So the patch failed. Now we live where the people we live with do not smoke and the stress is less then it was though we are still having severe problems in the financial area. Should I try the patch again or would it just fail? What do you guys think?
  2. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think if it worked for you even if just temporarily then it's worth giving it another try. Just try a few more times and see if you are able to improve on fighting temptation each time. Don't think of the past failed attempts as failures because you can just use them to learn your own patterns and thus you'll be able to correct it the next time around, regardless of whatever method you choose. It sounds like you are very determined so I'm sure you'll be able to fight it off sooner or later.
  3. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Whatever failed in the first place is bound to fall again and again... You should try to find another solution in order to quit smoking, you already know that using that patch doesn't help you overcome your addiction when circumstances are a little too bad.
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I have a buddy that used the patch most of the time to stop smoking. But he too would stress out and then he had to chew on nicotene gum. So that might be an option for you. If one method doesn't work, then you can double up adn get your quick fix.
  5. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

The fact that the situation has changed a bit, it will work a lot better for you. Nothing tried, nothing done anyways. I think you should try it again and become physically active to help relieve the stress.
  6. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

From what I've been able to understand, the chewing nicotine gum is even more addictive then the cigarettes themselves, a lot of people who used it didn't quit smoking, and got addicted to that gum too.
  7. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

It's like you're actually using drugs to quit using it. Not even logical in the least bit.
  8. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

I do not think that you should give up that easy, it showed some signs of working, which means given time it can actually work, so I tink you shoud give it another chance.
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I'm sure the gum is as addictive or even more so. It like choseing the lesser of 2 evils. Sure the gum will give you your nicotine fix, but at least now he isn't smoking 2 packs of cigarettes a day now.
  10. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

I think the patch can work but only if you really want to quit. Even though it is delivering nicotine to your system you will still be craving the physical action of smoking so you need to have some degree of willpower. Try finding something productive to do to replace the urge to smoke, like taking a walk or doing dishes.
  11. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

@JoshPosh I don't have to worry about that. I can only chew gum for a few minutes before my jaws hurt, so I rarely chew gum.

@juliaintheclouds that is probably why it partially worked the first time. I was working at the time, but when I got home the smell of cigarettes everywhere and the lack of anything to do brought back my cravings. So that is why it sort of failed.
  12. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

Yeah it's all about changing the environment and finding the triggers that give you the urge to smoke. Mine were eating, coffee, before or after literally any activity and when I was bored. For each of these situations I had to immediately go do something else when the urge came. IE after eating I had to get up from the table and do the dishes. If I sat around I wanted to smoke.
  13. It took me a long time to find something to help me quit smoking. I tried the patch and did not see any change in craving levels so I went back to smoking, but after trying nicorette gum, I quit within 2 weeks. Chewing the gum gave me a necessary distraction that help me break the habit for good.
  14. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

My doctor just prescribed the gum and patch to me, I am just waiting for them to arrive at my house now. I can see how the patch alone would not work, because you need to do something with the habit too. I seem to smoke less in general when I chew gum, so I am hoping that this combination helps me kick the habit. I will keep you updated.